• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

edit graphic

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small but very irritating novelty in a recent update: if I want to edit a photo file, I used to pick 'edit original' from right-clicking the mouse (and later made a hotkey for it) and automatically went to Photoshop. When I do that now, I'm sent to Lightroom.

I never worked with Lightroom and I don't want to start with it – Photoshop worked fine with me and learning new software is in this case just a waste of valuable time. When I want to use Photoshop I now have to choose 'edit with' , but because of old habits, I automatically choose 'edit original' So I tried to change the setting for 'edit original' from Lightroom to Photoshop in 'preferences', but I can't find anything. Well, let's work around the problem and make a hotkey for 'edit with'. Not possible!

Looks a bit like Adobe wants to force me to use Lightroom... Don't like that. But maybe I overlooked something simple. Anyone with a solution?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

You have to set that file type to open in Photoshopon OS. level.

Select the file and right mouse click open with, select Photoshop and open always with.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set that file type to open in Photoshopon OS. level.

Select the file and right mouse click open with, select Photoshop and open always with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand what you mean (you usually get a choice if Windows doesn't immediately know which program to choose and then you can set the choice to 'always open with'), but maybe I should have been clearer: I want to edit a photo already loaded into the InDesign file. That used to be easy: right-click on it, choose 'edit original' and Photoshop opened with that photo (or even easier: make a hotkey for it). I did that a +/- 100 times per project. But it seems impossible to change your app preference, or create a hotkey for this, in InDesign. I involuntarily end up in Lightroom in 50% of the cases – ingrained habits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't told us what type of graphic you're trying to edit, but Willi is correct...this is an operating system issue. You have to change the file association to open whatever type of file this is with Photoshop. The only way to do this within InDesign is to choose edit with instead of edit original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are all normal photo files: jpg, png, tif. From Windows they are automatically opened in Photoshop (and if they didn't, I already set them to 'always open with' a long time ago).

If the preference for Lightroom in 'edit original' can't be changed and it remains impossible to set a hotkey for 'edit with (Photoshop)', I guess I have to change my habits – which will take some time, I'm afraid.

Or is uninstalling Lightroom an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Somehow the operating system changed my preferences, and I reset them to Photoshop. That worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines