• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedding in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best procedure for embedding images in InDesign?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

The best procedure is to NEVER embed an image in InDesign. By default images are linked when you place them, and they should stay linked, not embedded. This keeps the file size down and makes work more efficient, and allows you to update the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deeply agree that sending a PDF to a printer is the best option. But since I work in the IT department of a press group, I often produce user guides with a lot of screen grabs. In this case, I embed pictures, that allow me to get rid of tons of small files. I never encountered any problems. Of course, I do not recommand this workflow for our magazines!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years later and I know that this question is no longer relevant. But thank you for answering this question so kindly and directly. It was perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Linked images are such a hassle when people aren't organized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this has become a discussion about best practices, but the question that was originally asked was "how do I embed an image file?" and it took over 10 responses before someone answered it. It was a simple question with a simple answer, and yet we gave a bunch of other info. Best practice here would be to answer the question that was asked and then give some helpful advice.

As for best practices on how a document should be saved out for the press -  I would have to agree with Peter Spier, in that a PDF is the preferred delivery in most cases. My earlier comments were directed specifically at the scenario that InDesignCS4student was asking. If you have to send a product specific file; i.e. InDesign, it is best to embed the file.

Concerning corrections on proofs, sometimes the printer can correct them (even in a PFD) and sometimes they will ask you to do it. They will accommodate you as they can, and they are usually pretty good about it, but ultimately it is your responsibility to make corrections.

BTW - just wanted to say - good questions and good responses. Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My earlier comments were directed specifically at the scenario that InDesignCS4student was asking. If you have to send a product specific file; i.e. InDesign, it is best to embed the file.

Unless it's a postcard or a flyer, not it's not. For anything of substance the best practice is, as I said earlier, to use the file>package feature to gather up all of the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless it's a postcard or a flyer, not it's not. For anything of substance the best practice is, as I said earlier, to use the file>package feature to gather up all of the links.

Good point Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines