• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when trying to place information from xlsx file into InDesign CS5

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on a publication for a local non-profit in my town. Part of that is that I need to place information from an excel spreadsheet into the publication. I am using Adobe InDesign CS5 and working on a macOS Sierra computer, and I keep getting a "Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation." dialogue box when I am trying to place the information from the .xlsx file.

This isn't too dire for me right now, it will be in a month or so when I really start having to place the information that I need. I thought I would look up some tutorials on how to import excel sheets into InDesign to learn what I am doing before things really kick-off. This problem keeps persisting for me, and so far for bug fixes I most of what I have found is that this has been a problem with the current version CC and the answers for those have been "update". However, I don't have the luxury to update my CS5 version. I don't know how to troubleshoot this problem since I have never run into it before.

Any advice or answers that the community might have is appreciated, thanks in advance!

(Images of the macOS I am currently running, and the error dialogue, incase that helps anyone)

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 12.20.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-04 at 12.20.45 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check all words in path and name of file. You're need to have only "latin" characters. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you try to save your Excel file to older xls format, and place to iD that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, this has taken me a little time to get back too, but I have tried both making sure that all files and paths to the file have "Latin" characters, and I have tried a down save of the .xls file. Unfortunately, neither of these suggestions are working for importing spreadsheet information.

I hope that I will be able to find a solution soon, and thank you for the suggestions so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines