• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excel into InDesign

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone aware of a way to import an excel table into InDesign? The table must be editable in InDesign after it's imported.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have succesfully placed my formatted table in to id, but the purpose of it is for an invoice, so i need values of the table to be editable in an interactive PDF e.g quantity and price, so that a total will be calulated.
Is there a way to make this table interractive?
ive tried exporting and formatting in different ways but to no avail

can anybody help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’d have to create the proper fields. This is a bit outside my area of expertise but I have done this in the past.

But…I did the final work in Acrobat pro to add the calculations.

BTW, this has nothing to do with placing a formatted table from Excel. You’ll need to create the table and then add the text fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, im new to spreadsheets and having the same issue, can you please tell me where to set the cell insets to zero?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi littledesignco ,

select one of your text cells* and then do a Select All by pressing Ctrl + a ( Windows ) or Cmd + a ( Mac ).

In the Control panel or in the new Properties panel ( InDesign CC 2019 ) you are seeing the insets.

From my German InDesign:

Cell-Insets.PNG

Set all values to zero.

* You can even do this by using the text cursor even if a cell is in total overflow and no text is visible.

Just click inside the cell with the text cursor and press key Esc.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same trouble as phrogg108, but when I set the cell insets to 0, nothing happens. The cells remain the same with the little red dots. Can someone please help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the size of the text larger than will fit in the cell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Excel....the font size is 8 and row height is 12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the story in story editor in ID and check the font specs there.  What is the leading, and the row height in ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is what you are asking me for...but I am not sure what "leading" is. I am new at this... just starting out for my company, self-taught in InDesign, etc....

help.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leading is the distance from baseline to baseline in the text. you can think of it as the line spacing. If it's larger than the row height  the text would be overset. In this case, though I suspect the problem may be a lack of any definition for row height, or that that the text size is too large for the column width, which is also undefined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case my first reply doesn't go through...the row height is not specified to exact or atleast but the maximum height is set at 8.3333 in...column width is not set and the keep options are set to start row "Anywhere"....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To insert an excel table into InDesign 6:

First make a regular text frame on your page.

Go to TABLE & Insert a blank table. Make sure it's the correct size, # cols, # rows etc.

Go to your excel file & highlight, copy what you want.

Go back to ID table (make sure text tool is being used T)

Highlight ALL CELLS in table

Paste excel file into first cell. Should work, it did for me just now, I've used this a good many times before, I make program booklets for conventions, meetings etc. & that's how I do it. Everything's editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have this issue in CC? I tried all of these and there seems to be no consistent pattern by which the red dots accept my formatting changers. Some accept it and are visible and some do not even though there is plenty of room for the data to be placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines