Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export book to pdf

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in InDesign CC 2020 on a Windows 10 PC

I have created a 'book' using separate InDesign documents. Each document is set as spreads and have an even number of pages - first page always on the right and last page always on the left. For each document the numbering is set to auo in book panel options, and the numbering in the book tab is correct. Very simple. 

I want to export the book as a pdf and as spreads. When I exports (with spreads selected), the pages are spreads except the last page of each document is by itself, and the first page of the following document is by itself. I want these two pages together as in a spread to match the others.

Can anyone tell me how this can be done. Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the output for printing or for digital output (reading the book as a PDF on a screen)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Derek, do you can explain for we the two situation? I asked because today is very common one documento with two or more publications and love how knologement you create solutions 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, the output is for digital reading on screen. No printing required.

I would have thought that the book feature would create the final combined pdf by placing the last page of each document next to the first page of the following document. Is this correct thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Macky66, I getting this same situation. The unique resoltuion for me is create first document with odd number of pages, middle with even and last document with odd novamente. Type: 3, 10, 20, 7.

In some cases I had to migrate the first page of one to the last page of the previous one because of the flow of the text.. =/

I dont think this is correct but helped me solve urgent services. 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brito, in order to get around this issue, I took off 'facing pages' on all my documents and unticked 'allow selected spreads to shuffle'. The I moved the pages together to make spreads in the 'page' palette.

I am still frustrated by this issue as I thought that would be one critical reason for having the 'book' function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if you're going to produce a book in PDF format, in my opinion, it should be exported as single pages -- not facing pages. This will make the document much easier to read on devices such as tablets and smart phones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, I agree, single pages would be good, however I need spreads as each section has to start on a right hand page, because the next two pages has to be a spread to fit the graphic. Any more thoughts on how to do this? I would have thought this was the idea of a 'book' pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The InDesign Book facility is for assembling several InDesign documents, useful for longer books.

Regarding your PDF book, I suggest you keep to single pages, but lay it out in Landscape format so you can feature your "spreads". Easy for the reader to view and navigate.

I attach a mock up of what I have in mind.

guide-page1.jpg

guide_Page_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, very good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Macky66,

there is no way I know of to achieve this with InDesign's book file feature automatically.

There are only workarounds like:

For viewing single pages next to each other as spreads:

Export all the documents separately to PDF, combine all PDFs in Acrobat Pro.

Set the view of the combined PDF to: Two-Up Cover Page with Acrobat Pro.

Or, if you want to have one PDF page for all pages per spread:

From the InDesign book file: Export to spread.

To fix the problematic spreads: Place the pages to a new InDesign document next to each other and export them again.

Remove the single pages from the PDF you exported from the book file, move in the ones you did from InDesign pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe, that is exactly what I ending up doing. Unfortunately there are 15 sections to do this to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem!

Have u managed to find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

More or less in the line that Uwe pointed:

1. Assemble the book with all the items.

2. Export that book to a PDF as ONE file but with single pages (not spreads).

3. Make a new document in InDesign, 1 empty page. Settings: "facing pages", "page size": same size the original pages of your book.

4. Place the PDF in that empty document with a script called "PlaceMultipagePDF" (it comes as a sample with your InDesign. Just go to "Window - Utilities - Scripts" Menu, "Samples - JavaScript" and click it. Choose the document you are in (the new one). The script will create as many pages as needed.

5. Export the resulting InDesign as a new PDF but with "spreads".

There you are. This is called "refrying a PDF", by the way.

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines