Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export ID files as PDF for customers, editing in AI should not be possible

Participant ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have created documents in ID that contain JPGs and PSD files. I would like to sell these documents online as PDFs, which customers can then print out.

But when I open the exported PDFs in Illustrator, all JPGs and PSD files are editable. How can I switch this off? I don't want customers to be able to edit the files.

And another question: how can I export the files in RGB color space?

I hope you can help me...

Thank you very much

Gabi

Note: I have Indesign and Illustrator in the latest version

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no guaranteed way of locking a PDF file. You can use Acrobat to lock a file but there are always ways of "breaking it."

To create an RGB color space, when exporting as Print PDF, in the Output tab, set Color Conversion: Convert to Destination. For Destination, choose an sRGB Profile:

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 9.25.57 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be more blunt than Steve.

There is absolutely no way to lock those files. If you're that concerned, don't bother with this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, both Steve and Bob are right. It can seem either crazy or obvious, depending on your level of knowledge, but there is almost no way to lock or copy-protect an electronic document, even thirty-odd years on in the game.

PDF in particular is an almost zero-security format. You can lock and password protect it against opening and content copying, and that will keep most users from casually getting into the content,but getting around those locks is as simply as using a reader that doesn't support the security features, or even running it through a simple app to disconnect the security ("cut the padlock," so to speak). There are schemes to make PDF a viable secure format for things like textbooks, but it takes a very elaborate server-based system with extremely high initial costs, well out of the range of all but major publishers. And even those are not 100% secure.

The only working alternative is EPUB, which can be secured somewhat better, but is a difficult format to work with and does not have the simplicity and reliability of PDF.

The only reasonably secure e-book format around is Amazon's Kindle, which is secure enough to base a commercial publishing empire upon, but still not a 100% solution against copying content.

So, a bit less grumpily than Bob, I have to concur: don't do a publishing project that requires "locked" content in an electronically distributed document. The short answer is that it can't be done. Even after thirty-ish years.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, thank you very much for your answers.

I have now found a solution: I don't create the file with Indesign but with Illustrator. I then open the AI file with Photoshop. This reduces all the layers to one and I can save it as a PDF. That's good enough for me. The individual images in the file can no longer be used so easily, they would have to be cropped first. And the vector paths can no longer be edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you can do such full flattening right out of ID as well. But if that's enough "protection" for your needs, good; there is, of course, no protection against simply cropping out the images, or even doing a high-res screen capture... just two more facets of why e-doc protection is so difficult.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now found a solution:

Hi @GabiWolf , James is right, no need to go to Illustrator. Just Export the page to an Image format, open it into Photoshop and Save As PDF.

PNG uses lossless compression, so:

Screen Shot 10.pngScreen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a quicker and more destructive way - export using older PDF format version and transparent object on top of everything - people used it years ago to convert texts into curves / outlines. 

It will also cut images into pieces - under text.

https://creativepro.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way-updated/ 

But it might make PDF heavier... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines