• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export single page PDF, with page number for name

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is best done in InDesign or Acrobat, I'm starting here.

I have a 100+ page document. I need each page to be a separate PDF. However, I need the PDFs to be named the page number. My page numbers for this document start with 3781, so the first page needs to be 3781.pdf (not [my document]_1.pdf)

I'm thinking a script is the best way??

Thanks,

Lisa

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

cdflash wrote: [..]

@ Jongware

a scripted solution would be AWESOME though!!!

Really, it's trivial. Fill in your Favourite Preset in the first line and your export path in the 2nd, and you're good to go.

var pdfPreset = "[Press Quality]";

var exportPath = "/c/temp";

for (aPage=0; aPage < app.activeDocument.pages.length; aPage++)

{

app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = app.activeDocument.pages[aPage].name;

app.activeDocument.exportFile (ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, File(exportPath+"/"+app.activeDocument.pages[aP

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa,

What I would do is:

1. Create the PDF in InDesign

2. Open in Acrobat, and go to the Extract Pages option, and choose

extract as separate pages. (Best is to save all these pages in a

separate folder)

3. Open Bridge and navigate to the folder and select all the PDFs you've

just made.

4. Right click (on a pc) and select Batch Rename from the context menu.

5. Choose to rename according to sequence number. Next to that there's a

field where you can type the start number.

6. Done! (You can click on preview first to see if it's going to work).

Easier to do than to describe.

HTH,

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow! I Never thougt of Bridge! It worked, thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome. Nice to shake the dust off Bridge occasionally.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be trivially scripted, nevertheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ OP

OR, could use Scott Zanelli's PEU (Page Exporter Utility) to make single page PDFs directly from indesign (eliminating step 2) and then go to bridge and carry on ariel's suggestion. scott's script can be found at: http://indesignsecrets.com/page-exporter-utility-peu-5-script-updated-for-cs3.php

@ Jongware

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cdflash wrote: [..]

@ Jongware

Really, it's trivial. Fill in your Favourite Preset in the first line and your export path in the 2nd, and you're good to go.

var pdfPreset = "[Press Quality]";

var exportPath = "/c/temp";

for (aPage=0; aPage < app.activeDocument.pages.length; aPage++)

{

app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = app.activeDocument.pages[aPage].name;

app.activeDocument.exportFile (ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, File(exportPath+"/"+app.activeDocument.pages[aPage].name+".pdf"), false, pdfPreset);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jongware...this is EXACTLY what I was trying to do! I'm not that good at script writing, so what I tried didn't work. I missed the "pageRange" part, I think. Thank you SO much, I knew it should have been pretty straight forward.

Ariel, I'm still thankful to you for bringing up Bridge...there are other tasks we do with renaming documents that this will be very helpful for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Years later, this thread will help me.

Is there a quick and dirty way to rename the files so they are the page range? I want it to go from "j2eic" to "5-15.pdf"

Also, is there a way in Bridge during Batch Rename to have it add the first page number to the filename?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jongware: I don't write scripts. Is it as simple as copy/pasting the below into a file and saving it as an .applescript file and copying it to the InDesign script folder? If no, could you please provide a usable file? Thank you.

1. var pdfPreset = "[Press Quality]"
  2. var exportPath = "/c/temp"
  3. for (aPage=0; aPage < app.activeDocument.pages.length; aPage++) 
  4. app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = app.activeDocument.pages[aPage].name; 
  5. app.activeDocument.exportFile (ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, File(exportPath+"/"+app.activeDocument.pages[aPage].name+".pdf"), false, pdfPreset); 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an even more complicated request.  Let me see if I can explain what I need.

We create postcards for a client, then print and mail them. Each postcard is double sided (Front and Back), and each post card has a unique number as a code, but all postcards in the file do not have sequential numbers.  Our InDesign files are set up like this:

Page        Page Name      Postcard

1              A1                      CODETEXT1

2              B1                      CODETEXT1

3              A2                      CODETEXT2

4              B2                      CODETEXT2

5              A3                      CODETEXT3

6              B3                      CODETEXT3

7              A5                      CODETEXT5

8              B5                      CODETEXT5

9              A7                      CODETEXT7

10            B7                      CODETEXT7

11              A13                      CODETEXT13

12            B13                      CODETEXT13

In this example I have one InDesign document, which contains 6 postcards total.  There are 12 actual pages in InDesign (no spreads). Each pair is one post card front and back. Each postcard is given a prefix code like FSRT, which is printed on the back of the postcard and after the code name goes the "page number" as assigned in InDesign.  This is why the pages are labeled with different prefixes for front and back, because you cannot have two page 13s in InDesign, so we have A13 (front) and B13 (back).

The goal is to export from InDesign separate PDFs for each postcard, meaning a 2 page PDF, that is labeled with the correct prefix and the correct postcard code number.

This means I would end up with these 6 different PDFs:

FSRT1.pdf

FSRT2.pdf

FSRT3.pdf

FSRT5.pdf

FSRT7.pdf

FSRT13.pdf

I tried the Page Exporter Utility, but the problem here is that in this example, page 11 and page 12 have technically the same "page number" assigned in InDesign (13), therefore I end up having PDFs with only the backs of each postcard, because the fronts get overwritten once the backs are saved.  Also, I cannot use this to export 2 pages into one single PDF, but rather all pages individually.

I tried the Split PDF utility, which is great because I am able to export 2 pages into one PDF.  However, I am stuck having to keep the Original Name of the file, wether it is before or after the file labeling, and I can't use the page numbers to name the files either.

There has to be a better way for me to accomplish this, since this example is pretty basic and easy to rename manually,  but we deal with other files that have over 50 postcards (100 pages), not in chronological or sequential number order, and some that have 3 pages each, instead of 2 (Front, Back + Magnet of postcard).

So, basically what I need is a scrip that lets me export PDFs from InDesign directly or using the Adobe Acrobat Pro Split Pages Feature, but that lets me choose how many pages to export for each PDF and also use the page number of the first page of the set only to name the file, and let me add a specific prefix without using the file name at all.

Wow that's a lot to ask, I guess.

If anyone out there can help us, I appreciate it

MW

PS: I don't know how to write Scripts or make my own and how to add it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines