• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to Kindle in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone help me export an ebook created in InDesign to the reading format on the Kindle?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response and information. I will try the above processes, and see if it works. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help and answer questions as needed.

FXL seems like a great choice, the right choice, the easy choice... but it is largely obsolete, it is extremely fragile, the exported files are very difficult to work with, and it does not work as simply a "print to e-page" service. (That is, you can get away with almost any degree of sloppiness and poor page construction for print, or for export to PDF — which pretty much is a "print to e-page" service — but for EPUB export, the source document has to be meticulously constructed and managed, even to get the seemingly simple FXL result.)

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add this: I know nothing about your abilities or project, but it sounds like the problems trace to the methods. Cookbooks in particular lend themselves to this... did you simply paste all the content onto each page? A text box for the title, another for the ingredients, another for the directions, maybe a decorative edge image, some photos in the middle? InDesign allows this very simple method, but it really doesn't like it and it leads to many problems with things like TOCs, indexing, using styles effectively, and the like. And, while FXL in theory doesn't care about overall "book flow," this piecemeal/pasteup method can throw the export process and lead to the sort of problems you're seeing (in PDF as well, if I read you right — and that's rare).

InDesign really likes a flowing, organized document structure, with one text flow (or a few organized ones) and anchored images and elements. That model is essential for reflowable EPUB export and greatly improves most other outputs, even print.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines