• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

exported epub has weird symbols replacing numbers

Contributor ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exported epub has weird symbols replacing numbers, and also moves them to the front of the line of text. As below, in the screenshots, notice that It should say "AKA Investigations Series, #1", and in the second, it should say "Circa 2010."
Can any of you brilliant people tell me why this happens? I've never seen it before.

epub shows weird symbols in place of # sign.jpgepub shows weird symbols in place of year date places it in front.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Yes, it's a language code for Arabic (one of them). And an RTL directive following. This text has been assigned a language you probably didn't intend.

What's the source and history of this doc file? Did you create it from scratch, or import work/files from elsewhere? Check the Paragraph Style for the affected text and make sure the language is set to English.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that a  Middle-Eastern font is involved in your samples, which might also change the reading sequence to right-to-left (opposite of English and other European languages which sequence left-to-right).

Can you tell us which font is used for the missing/switched characters?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it says it's Garamond Premiere Pro, which i always use (Adobe). I even highlighted the spaces between and applied font, to be sure i wasn't missing some coding. and that was also assigned Garamond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I've never used a Middle Eastern font...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm definitely seeing Arabic characters and an RTL influence.

I think you have, at a minimum, a font mapping issue and possibly a corrupt font. You don't say which platform you're on, but you might inspect your installed fonts to make sure you have one and only one set of AG installed and activated.

(Is it essential that you export the fonts to the EPUB? That's a poor, or at least unnecessary practice IMHO. Try unchecking Embed Fonts just to see if it affects this issue.)

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opened it in Calibre ebook editor, saw this in the code. I'm assuming that's Arabian, Saudi Arabia?epub AKA2 language issue weird symbol ar-SA code.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a language code for Arabic (one of them). And an RTL directive following. This text has been assigned a language you probably didn't intend.

What's the source and history of this doc file? Did you create it from scratch, or import work/files from elsewhere? Check the Paragraph Style for the affected text and make sure the language is set to English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hoop! der it is! somehow the language on that style got set to ARABIC.style has arabic setting Paragraph Style Options.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, James, for all your help and insights! Appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch!

Probably a mis-click due to either a lack of caffeine or too much caffeine. <grin>

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly. Though i have no idea why it appeared on several styles i created it would almost have to be a default setting of ARABIC in the panel, when new styles are created. I don't like not knowing WHY it happened, because i don't want it to happen again! But alas, we can't always know everything.
Also, and update.... That Arabic language setting being set back to English took care of the weird symbols, but i was still getting the punctuation in front of the sentences....ultimately, I created a fresh style, relaced the old one with the new one, and this got rid of the rest of the problem. Hope it helps someone else. (the only other idea i had was pasting that text into notepad, to strip the code, and then pasting it plain back in, but that was the more time-consuming option, so i went with the KISS method, and thankfully, that worked.
Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably just some spot doc corruption, from any of a dozen sources. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're sure you didn't do it by accident and didn't import a bad style somewhere. Some How It Happens, and all that.

But one oops or slip or whatever could have corrupted one style, and then was propagated through the others. ID's double-edged style sword. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines