• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Facing page layout issue?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have a layout issue. I am desiging an 8" x 10" book for print, with facing pages layout.

I set the following specs in the Document Setup:

Facing pages with 2 columns

Margins:

Top: 0.75 inches

Bottom: 0.5"

Inside: 0.75"

Outside: 0.625"

Gutter: 0.375"

When I print out 2 facing pages onto 2 sheets of 8.5" x 11" paper, and rule them up to inspect the trimmed 8" x 10" published pages, the right page appears fine, with the 1/2" excess to the outer, right edge of the paper. However, the 1/2" excess that will be trimmed from the left page is to the inside margin, not the outside margin. 

Is this an issue or not?

Should the excess be to the outer edge of both facing pages? Or should the excess be on the right side of both facing pages? 

If this is an issue, how do I correct it?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is a printer problem, as your paper must be a large as your file plus bleed.

Do you print spreads or pages?

What happens if you export to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, export to PDF. "Printing" to PDF is almost always an absolute check on print layout and will bypass any printer or local setup issues. And it saves trees. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, the 1/2" excess that will be trimmed

Hi @rschlegel , just to clarify, Margins are part of the live page—the page gets trimmed to the trim not the margins:

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your document is setup at 8"x10", then that is the final page size that it will be trimmed to. If you export with crops and bleeds and use the crop marks as a guide for trimming, you'll see that reported size. 

The trim should only be trimming off your bleed, which you haven't defined in your original post. It sounds like you're confusing the margins for your bleed. The margins should determine how far away from the edge of the page you're leaving empty to give it a safety area for your design.

What binding method is this book going to use? Are you sending this to a print shop to be printed? You should talk with them to help set up your file properly for exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines