• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files won't open from InDesign Application Frame

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open any files directly from the Application Frame in InDesign. I don't have this issue with Photoshop or Illustrator. I get the following alert/error: "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application." If I close files and try to reopen them immediately, I still get this alert. I'm running InDesign 13.0 on a Macbook Pro (2015) running OS Sierra 10.12.6. Thoughts???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if the application frame is unchecked in Windows, the same files open normally?

You could try resetting prefs or upgrading to the current version (CC 2018):

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm on a Mac btw. Not sure what if you were referring to Windows OS. And I am running CC 2018 as well. The files all open if I go to Files>Open Recent. Or if I click on them from the desktop. It's just through the application frame that I get the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm confused by your usage of the term "Application Frame". The Application Frame is a Mac-only command found in the Window menu. You don't open files through it, but it does give a Mac user a tabbed interface.

Do you mean the Start screen that shows up when you open InDesign but haven't yet opened up any documents? If that's it, I'd suggest resetting preferences. Two techniques are outlined in the link below. If the first doesn't work (the keyboard shortcut) try the second (manually deleting two files):

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem at the worst possible moment...to do a mockup of two projects to provide as part of getting a job. I am using InDesign CS6 (from Production Premium, so can't attempt uninstalling or "fixing" InDesign alone), on a Win7 Pro (x64).

I have just completed a loarge book (400 pages) and everything was fine.

When I started a new Document, it won't let me drag an image onto the document without getting this message.

As part of troubleshooting, I opened the previous book project and tried to drop the same image into it and got the same error message.

I thought it was an issue with the original file, a .jpg which was provided to me by the company I am applying for) which came from a Google Drive. So I put it into Fireworks and turned it into a .png...same error.

I now have six hours to complete the documents, and am at a full stop...any suggestions would be great. I have tried deleting the saved/default files from User/appdata/etc. but again the error.

What to do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I started a new Document, it won't let me drag an image onto the document without getting this message."

Hi puppy38,

try the File > Place… command to get your image in.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

This doesn't work. I am at a general disbelief. I tried the same method with my big book project, and trying to import the image into this still causes the error. I was even able to drag a photo from the book design into the new document, but when I highlight it and try to drag the image in question into that, again with the error.

I thought it might be the file itself, not InDesign, but after multiple attempts at everything from re-downloading, importing into another program (I can easily drop/drag into Fireworks), renaming, saving as a different format (from .jpg to .png), I'm stuck. They came from a Google Drive, and I think this may be the problem, because other photos that wwere sent to me direct from the company work fine.

Thanks for the assistance,

puppy38

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your OS?

How did you install it? From the original installer or via Backup or from another computer via transfer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Original installer...

But I think it's the images from Google Drive. Must be some kind of security (ironic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Drive?

Hm. Let's see. Is there a function with Google Drive that is similar to the "Smart Synch" feature for Dropbox?

Turn it off if you can.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah...not my Google Drive (as a security guy, I don't do anything Google meself)...but thanks.

I have alerted the company to the issue and will wait til they suss it out.

Cheers then,

puppy38

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines