• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix CS3's Print Booklet !!

New Here ,
May 05, 2007 May 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Print Booklet feature in InDesign CS3 is a step backward!

CS2's InBooklet could create a new document. I BADLY need that feature, as I must print odd spreads in landscape mode, but even numbered spreads in reverse landscape mode.

Having to export/print to PDF, then rotate the pages in Acrobat and print from there is unnecessarily cumbersome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 152 Replies 152
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well because, first thing how do you make a pdf of the spreads. And I don't want my final product to be a pdf. I want to be able to edit it. When I make the booklet it is still in the proofing stage and could have to be changed. I need to give the book proof to the customer, where he will proof it, bring it back and then I have to make those changes, then make the pdf files again. Sounds like a lot of extra work to me. Why can't I just do it the old way with InBooklet. That worked just fine.

About the script, I don't know. It was a few messages down the list in this forum. Hopefully you have a better one that will work like InBooklet did.l

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue Sayers wrote:

Well because, first thing how do you make a pdf of the spreads.  And I don't want my final product to be a pdf.  I want to be able to edit it.  When I make the booklet it is still in the proofing stage and could have to be changed.  I need to give the book proof to the customer, where he will proof it, bring it back and then I have to make those changes, then make the pdf files again.  Sounds like a lot of extra work to me.  Why can't I just do it the old way with InBooklet.  That worked just fine. 

About the script, I don't know.  It was a few messages down the list in this forum.  Hopefully you have a better one that will work like InBooklet did.l

Q: How do you make a PDF of the Spreads?

A: File > Print Booklet and choose AdobePDF as the printer (presumes you have Acrobat and the virtual printer installed).

Q: Sounds like a lot of extra work to me.  Why can't I just do it the old way with InBooklet.  That worked just fine.

A: First, you can't use InBooklet because InBooklet is no longer available and has been replaced with Print Booklet. Second, if InBooklet worked just fine it was because you were lucky. InBooklet was known to be buggy and have problems with saving a new file, particularly if there were page elements crossing the spine. I ALWAYS used Dave's script, and never InBooklet for making imposed files. You do need to remember to select "spreads" in the print dialog when it's time to output after running the script for imposing.

Q: About the script, I don't know.  It was a few messages down the list in this forum.  Hopefully you have a better one that will work like InBooklet did.

A: I use Dave Saunders' booklet script all the time for simple two-up saddle-stitch impositions, but it has limitations. It doesn't do creep or handle cross-spine elements. I've not tried the Carlson script, so I don't know it's limitations.

Either one of those will give you an imposed file you can edit, but Print Booklet sounds to me like it will do everything you need. What is the difference in the amount of work between editing the imposed file and running a new PDF and editing the unimposed file and running a PDF? The only reason I can see for preferring the imposed file is if you want to EXPORT to PDF in order to keep live transparency.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I'll give you that. I will see when I get to work on Monday if I can do a spread pdf using the Print Booklet feature. I still need to keep the editable file though for next years book. I will let you know.

Thanks

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines