• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Issue with Adobe InDesign

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having issues with a re-installed font. I deleted the entire Gotham font family via Font Book and installed a new version that we purchased. Most of the new styles correctly overwrote the old ones. However, one of the old font styles was called Gotham Regular, and one of the new styles is called Gotham Book, and these aren’t showing correctly in Adobe. When I open a new document in any Adobe app (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), I am still seeing Gotham Regular as an available font style, and Gotham Book is not showing as an option. Also, when we open a document (made by another employee) that has Gotham Book being used, it says that that font is missing, even though it is clearly installed in my Font Book.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hazy on the technical details as I'm not a Mac user, but my understanding is that Macs have two font repositories used by Adobe and InDesign, and if they get out of sync or, worse, have mismatched iterations of fonts, it can cause all kinds of font and formatting havoc.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would recommend you purge your font caches, as there will very likely be vestiges of your old fonts still cached so clearing these will help set things back to a decent starting point. Most third party font managers have built in cache tools but it doesn't sound like you have one since you mentioned Font Book. Although there are ways to do it manually using Terminal, etc, I would recommend you find Font Finagler online and use it to delete all relative caches, both at an OS level and also specifically for Adobe apps. Some maintenance utility programs like Cocktail and Onyx will also have cache tools.

Also make sure that you don't have your old Gotham installed in other locations, like InDesign's Font folder or in a specific Document's Fonts folder.

Regardless, your document will still have internal references to your old fonts, so you might need to MANUALLY clean those up even if it sounds silly to replace Gotham Bold with Gotham Bold.

btw: I have never seen the name Gotham Regular used by the official Hoefler fonts so it's probably a good thing you are upgrading your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines