Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footnotes in text boxes and table captions

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having a hard time understanding the footnotes.

My footnotes are only numbered correctly when I have linked text boxes, as you can see in the picture below. When I unlink boxes, I get restart numbers. This is not what I want.

If I have tables and images with captions and footnotes in them, how do I manage the footnotes? (see picture)

In this example, footnotes 10 belongs to the text box below, instead of the table. There are going to be cases where I need to group several boxes into one for wrapping (table, table title, caption), and if there are going to be footnotes, I don't know how to do it...

footnotes.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>My footnotes are only numbered correctly when I have linked text boxes

That's the way InDesign handles footnoting. You can continue the numbering from frame to frame as long as the frames are connected. This is called a story. When you start a new story the numbering restarts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @goranl19234833:

One more note: InDesign does not support table footnotes (notes for each table are typically numbered a., b., c. in technical documents). If you need that look, it has to be handled manually. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines