• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame edge highlighting

Contributor ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new feature in InDesign CS5 is Frame edge highlighting. I find it quite annoying and can't find a way to disable it... anyone know how?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 200 Replies 200
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair points.

I'm not terribly upset by the feature. It's a bit of getting used to, and I switch between CS5 and CS3 quite a lot. I'm just accustomed to CS3, but that will be gone in a few months and I'll be accustomed to CS5 pretty soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abit like a new car with an annoying rattle and you cant find the preference button to turn it off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ukdesign1,

Please turn off the autoquote when replying by email, and turn off the spam on your phone if that's where it's coming from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spam?!!

I guess you might have meant the signature depending which email I use.

I should be working anyway, I'll put my future efforts into that rather than the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to the ad for cheap international calls...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which I just removed along with all the autoquotes.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Fair points.

I'm not terribly upset by the feature. It's a bit of getting used to, and I switch between CS5 and CS3 quite a lot. I'm just accustomed to CS3, but that will be gone in a few months and I'll be accustomed to CS5 pretty soon.

How would changing one or more layer colors to a very light tint work for you? There are some light colors available to choose from, in the Layer Options in the Layers panel menu. If they aren't light enough, you can create new custom tints, with the color picker that opens when you choose Custom from the bottom of the list.

You can't name these custom colors. but you can save them in the custom swatch area in the color picker panel. You can assign any custom color to any layer by choosing Layer Options for the selected layer, from the Layers panel menu.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In illustrator adobe have the option to turn it off, i think that option just got missed in indesign. You can turn off the alignment guides like illustrator.

I turned everything off in illustrator, but some may love frame highlighting etc on which is why a feature like that has to be a preference as it affects the day to day work.

There are loads of preferences which we never change and are an option but far less important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - with Smart Guides turned off you don't see them in Illustrator.

Perhaps something that could be integrated to InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help Please! I too, am having problems with the frame edge highlighting feature that extends beyond just persona ally not appreciating the feature. When I have multiple objects/layers on the page and move between them, the highlighting feature causes my cursor to pause for a split second. When there are multiple objects it makes it almost impossible to work as the cursor is constantly trying to highlight different frames. It gets to the point where the cursor basically freezes up completely, especially when I zoom in closer to work with paths on objects. I have tried trashing my preferences, uninstalling the whole CS5 suite and turning off live drawing. I have a new top quality machine just in from HP and previously had CS5 installed on a lesser PC without these issues. Does anyone have any advice? So far this issue seems to ONLY be in Indesign, as when I go into Illustrator, the frame highlighting works as normal with no lag in between rolling over the object and its frame being highlighted.

-Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems your only recourse is to file a complaint with Adobe and upgrade to CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upgrade to cs4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Upgrade from CS5 to CS4.

There was some sarcasm there, but in all honesty, that's what I've had to do for many of my projects. CS5 is just too slow for one reason or another (all of them documented on this forum).

Frame edge highlighting is, for me, just a huge annoyance, not an actual bug. For some people, it seems to cause actual real problems and not just diminished productivity and sanity.

So, yeah. Upgrade to CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree that the frame highlighting in indesign is very annoying, I've actually designed jobs in Illustrator to avoid using Indesign, not ideal as I used to use it alot.

However, I would never go back to cs4. Cs5 has huge benefits for us in other ways as we do loads of web work, Dreamweaver is much better (working with wordpress cms etc) even though yes it does have bugs. And Illustrator has pixel support etc etc.

Overall a brilliant upgrade for us, typical these days though, it's not finished when released.

Least it's not got a death grip where it dies and your mac crashes if you hold it the wrong way. hint hint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe pull your finger out, you've had ££££££'s, this frame highlighting has been reported 100's of times along with the dreamweaver bugs. Get some updates....all you seem to be doing is updating acrobat weekly!!!!! That doesn't bring me cash!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver was just patched. If you're on Mac make sure you back up all of your site defnitions since the patch wipes out the user ids and passwords.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh yes just checked adobe updater and yes you're right

thanks for the warning about the logins/pwords, I have enough trouble with it forgetting them now

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it annoying and disruptive too. Wish there was an option to completely turn off frame edge highlighting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly ridiculous. Adobe software is getting worse and worse with each release. They used to be best in the business. Now I think WTF are they thinking every time something is changed and I always embrace change. Dreamweaver is an embarrassment and Flash is a shell of it's former self when Macromedia was in charge. How 'bout that Adobe updater... Isn't that always fun barging in on your work. Don't get me started on the amateurish progress wheel in Photoshop CS5. I may give an old friend Quark a new look because this is unacceptable to not be able to disable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel better?

You just ranted at a bunch of people who may or may not agree with you and on top of that can't do a thing about if they did. For the record I don't, but if you want to tell Adobe do it here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&promoid=EWQQL

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree tho

Now have a bigger rant at Adobe!

My dreamweaver keeps crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/dreamweaver/dreamweaver_general

FWIW, I've yet to have DW CS5 crash.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the big swing with Frame Edge Highlighting anyway? It's not a problem I don't see why so many are against it?

If you don't like it the switch to a tool that is not an Arrow tool.

But even still - I don't even notice the frame edge highlighting. The only time I notice it is in when I'm looking for a burried frame and it actually helps me find the right one to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't notice it?

www.need-an-eye-test.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main issue for me is that it has changed the selection behavior. (either that, or they have changed the selection behavior and it just so happens to seem like frame edge highlighting is causing the change).

Here is the problem. In complex layouts where you have frames overlapping in a lot of different ways, you often cannot select the "top" frame in a stack without first deselecting everything. In CS5, you can no longer count on simply clicking on the center of the top frame to select it. It's almost like there is some kind of "snap" being applied to selection now, causing it to ignore the fact that my mouse is NOT hovering over that thing it seems to like for some reason, but rather has now moved on to somewhere else. I find this often happens when I'm trying to select a caption text frame under a photo frame (no, i can't use metadata for captions most of the time, sorry that won't help). It will decide that i really wanted to select the image frame, even though my pointer is NOT over that frame. It is like ID is trying to "suggest" what I might want to click on, and that is why I am associating this behavior with the new Frame Edge Highlighting "feature." I don't care if everyone else loves this feature (although obviously they don't!), but I just need to be able to turn it off, because it seriously affects my speed and accuracy when working, and it has given me little or no tangible benefit in return. Just a bunch of flashing rectangles all the time. That it is in effect even in Preview mode is just insulting.

Yes, I know there is a keyboard shortcut to deselect all, and i've started having to use it all the time. But that only helps me select the top item in a stack. it doesn't help with the "snap" effect on selections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines