• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch while pasting text from Mac into two column frame layout, the letter "I" disappears

Contributor ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The weirdest InDesign glitch I've ever encountered.  I'm laying out a book with text pasted from Mac Pages  into frames in a two-column layout. I'm receiving various texts that have to be arranged alphabetically, so I can't place files. Anyhow, everything is fine BUT when an entry starts with a word beginning with a capital "I"...the letter I drops out or disappears. It only happens with that letter. The body text is nothing odd, just Calibri. I'm using the latest version of ID for Mac. Here's a screenshot.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 10.08.42 AM.png

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you pasted text from Mac Pages into a text editor, then copy paste into Indesign, does the issue still happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried that. Although that may cause other problems, such as losing italics.  Do you think the source of the problem is Pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try exporting RTF from Pages, and importing into Indesign, this should retain formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey...I'll give that a try.  

Still, the mystery remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Conquest,

Thank you for trying the suggestion provided by our experts. We understand that encountering such glitches can be frustrating. Let's try changing the font to a different one, such as Arial or Times New Roman, to see if the issue persists.

Please let us know if that helps. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...I'm on a tight deadline with this book, but will try a font change with one entry and see if that makes a difference. Will append any solution I find to my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Conquest , You probably could get that to happen via a Paragraph Style’s Grep Style. Does it happen if you a apply a different style or no style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, I have no GREP styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the Pages file and the ID doc—you can attach them to a reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will do after I finish the book. Right now I'm simply manually fixing the missing "I"s -- there aren't that many. But I do want to find the source of this glitch. Stay tuned and thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines