• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Going from Facing Pages to Individual Pages PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Please help!! I'm not new to InDesign, but I'm new to designing for a 100 page magazine. 

I have a 100 page file designed with facing pages turned on. 

I have to send the printer individual pages, which I also know how to do. 

When I separate the PDFs, I lose the bleed in the gutter. Here's a screen shot of a page on the left and you see the page on the right creeping in, and the image with the fireworks has no bleed (which is the gutter)

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 10.29.56 AM.png

 

Also, how do you set up a file where an image bleeds over 2 pages and will still print correctly? See image below

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 10.32.06 AM.png

 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , InCopy workflow , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You stated magazine, so I will assume binding method is either saddlestitch or perfect bound. In either case, bleed into gutter is not necessary. The opposite page that you see is not an issue for production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Even the printer requires individual pages, not spreads?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's another example where text is going over the gutter. When I asked the printer about it, he said as long as it's set up correctly there won't be an issue. So just want to make sure it is!

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 11.45.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's another example where text is going over the gutter.

Those two pages will not be next to each other in the imposition—with a 2-up 16-page imposition pages 4 and 13 would be a printer spread and would be folded (not trimmed) at the spine:

Screen Shot 6.pngImpositionIllustration.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Designing a multipage book, you would create your layout with facing pages. When providing a production PDF to print provider, typically you will export single pages, as opposed to a printer spread, or even worse a reader spread.

The single page PDF will show the abutting pages, but keep in mind, this will not interfere with imposition the printer will perform.

The sample you have shown should not present any issue with print provider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! 

One last thing maybe you could help me out with. When I'm exporting each as individual pages, is there a way to control the output of the file names? The format needs to be FSC_04_001.pdf,  FSC_04_002.pdf... FSC_04_100.pdf. It won't let me alther the text in that box i have highlighted. So i have to manually change each individual file name. It does export them in sequential order, but it won't let me control the export name before the number. For example, the file name is 'facesmag-july-aug' and it exports as 'facesmag-july-aug_01.pdf'

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12.00.46 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and before i go into the settings box, iI uncheck this

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12.08.34 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your printer really asking for individual PDFs? Usually you only need to export a single document with Pages (not Spreads) selected:

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An ID Facing Page doc Exported As Pages:

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah they want individual PDFs. It's my first time with this printer and I've always just sent one PDF with all the pages. 

I changed the file name of the .indd

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12.27.00 PM.png

 

and it exported perfectly in sequential order to how i want. 

Thanks so much for the help Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Printers with an online portal usually require single page PDFs uploaded, as opposed to one PDF containing all pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @facesmagazine , Also, for magazine binding the inside edge of the page is folded not trimmed, so even if you include the bleed the printer will have to remove it when the printer spreads get imposed. Check with your printer, some want the bleed even when it will be removed with the imposition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if they're going in as individual pages and not spreads? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right the printer needs individual pages because the pages will be rearranged from reader spreads to printer spreads:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines