• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Indesign file blurry when saving as a Jpeg.

New Here ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on some ads for a website - the size of the file being 628 x 90px. Any time I try to export them, they come up completely blurry, however whenever I up the DPI setting, the physical size of the file becomes larger and is rejected by the website it will be advertised on. png's are saving similarly. I have not had this issue before.. I feel there might just be something simple I am missing? Thank you!

BAYFM.jpg 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open it up in Photoshop you will see the dimensions are off - because InDesign exports to jpeg with unusual method. 

It's probably happening because the website is scaling the image, and doing a bad task of it.

Best method I have found is to export as PDF first.

Then open the PDF in Photoshop and resize to your needs.

I find this method gives the best options and results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lyndsay24130315r6dz , The 628 x 90 pixel dimension is too small to resolve the small text point size you are using. If I zoom in on your example set to 628 x 90px, and measure a lowercase e, its pixel dimensions are only 5px x 6px—not enough to draw a legible e. If you really are limited to the 628 x 90 pixel dimension you can’t use such a small pt/px size (10pt?) for the text.

Screen Shot 44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File supplied here isn't the dimensions mentioned

EugeneTyson_0-1689868040894.png

An when resized it's not the right ratio

EugeneTyson_1-1689868098057.png

Here it is resized to the actual required size at 72ppi (I know)

BAYFM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even at the provided 1250 x 174 dimension the lowercase e is being drawn at 10 x10 px—the type is just too small to be resolved in such a small pixel dimension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides all prior answers, which cover the technicalities... you can drive a nail with a screwdriver, and you can do web banner graphics with InDesign, but...

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi James, What application would improve the rasterizing of 10px type?

Given the small pixel dimensions, the only way to affect the look of the type would be the anti-aliasing applied to the text, but that wouldn’t change the problem of drawing a lowercase e in a 5 pixel square. If I imitate @Lyndsay24130315r6dz text—10.5px Futura— in a Photoshop text layer there’s no meaningful improvement:

Screen Shot 52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines