• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help - Lost Id Documents

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Indesign 2021 so tought i didn't need Id 2019 & 2020 so I uninstalled them. Now I cannot find any Id Documents nor can I seem to save a 2021 document and then find it again! Do I have to reinstall 2020 & 2019?

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Barkalabird:

InDesign 2021 can open files created in 2019 and 2020 so no you do not need to reinstall those applications. Removing any version of InDesiogn does not delete documents so it sounds like you just need to track them down. Where were you saving them? On a local drive? Network drive? Cloud drive? Let's start there. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb,

I was just saving them to my documents folder on my PC and now they are all gone. Only files visible are the jpegs and PDFs that I made of them.

If I open Indesign  - I can open the last 10 files that are still visible on the opening page and also (open recent files – same ones I think) but if I then save as to the same place or another folder - I get an error message that says it already exists – but they are not there when I look with 'File Explorer' - I believe it is saving them as a PDF even though I have selected Indesign document.

indd 2.JPGindd.JPG.

In the snip above you can see the ghosts of where they were in Race 1 & 2 (but they are not there) but completely missing for race 3 & 4. (I think that is because I have 'saved as' Indesign document but it has actually replaced those files with a PDF!!?

Can you help? Or should I just reinsatll 2019 & 2020 - If so how do I do that within my subscription?

Thank you for your reply Catherine

I have done a computer search but can only find the pdfs and jpegs.

Thanks for your help,

Catherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to save the document as a CS4 but all that happened was the black white page below.... The PDF was the product of saving as a 2021 Indesign document.....I am able to save jpegs ... 

indd 4.JPGindd 3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Barkalabird:

You can reinstall 2020 with the CC Desktop app. Click the ... menu and choose Other Versions. 15.1.4 will be available. 

cc app.png

Back to the original issue, it looks like you are on Windows from the screen shots? I wonder if Windows is showing the PDF icon when it should be showing the InDesign icon. That does happen occasionally and of course it is very confusing. I would start by disabling the Windows default to hide file extensions for known file types. See if the "Race3 She's our empress" has a .pdf extension or .indd. 

extensions.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you  Barb.

I reinstalled 2020 and actually got 1 .indd icon back but that was the file I saved as a CS4 to see what would happen. So I checked the 'file name extenson box and now I can see which files are .indd and which are actually .pdf.

indd 9.JPG

I can click on the.idml in 'file explorer' and it does open in Indesign. However the pdf icons with the .indd extension will not open from 'file explorer' but will open in InDesign from the Indesign menu.

indd 8.JPGindd 6.JPGindd 5.JPG

I tried to re 'save as as a Indesign 2021 document but still got the pdf with .indd extension. I guess it still works but it makes it a bit complicated. Can you suggest a further fix. I couldn't find a 2019 version to reinstall (but really I shouldn't need either 2020 0r 2019 should I?)

Thank you for your help,

Kind Regards,

Catherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so that confirms my latest suspicion. Now, I would completely uninstall 2021 (prefs and all) and then reinstall it to see if it restores the icon and file association.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb,

I completely uninstalled and then reinstalled. Checked both the uninstall earlier editions and the don't keep the preferences. Same result. I can use indesign and basically do what I want but doesn't look like it should. Also when I export as a .pdf that file would open, but now I have to go looking for it to open it which is less convienient - that might be a preference that I have to check somewhere but I'm not sure where as it just used to happen)

indd 10.JPG

Appreciate you help,

Kind Regards,

Catherine Piggott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka! You have done it!!

indd 11.JPG

One last thing though: Previously when I exported as a .pdf - the file would open immediately but now it just files it away so I have to go looking for it. Is there a preference somewhere that I have to check to make this happen again?

Thank you so much for your help!

Kind Regards,

Catherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My final idea, @Barkalabird, is to reset the file association for .indd files with InDesign. Your InDesign files are intact, but Windows thinks they are PDFs. 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly-fix-windows-file-type-associations/

Scroll down to How to Change File Type Associations in Windows 10

Fingers crossed!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Barkalabird:

So the file association fixed the issue? I'm so glad you are back on track. 

As for the second question, enable View PDF after exporting. 

pdf.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines