Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Hotkeys for Bold and Italic?

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this easy and I'm dumb for not knowing it, but is there a hotkey for making selections bold or italic?  I do a lot of that and it would save my wrist many hours to find a way to do this.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009
Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + B and Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + I.You'll find a nicely organized listing for all the default keyboard shorcuts as the second-to-last item listed in the contents for InDesign Help.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + B and Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + I.

You'll find a nicely organized listing for all the default keyboard shorcuts as the second-to-last item listed in the contents for InDesign Help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: this won't work if there's no bold or italic variant installed.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, back in the day, it would do a faux italic or bold (I forget the term that was used), and that was a bad thing. Now you have to have the actual variant font.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isnt working for me in inDesign CC… Does this feature exist still?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should. Do your fonts have those variants installed? Also check your Mac system prefs and other applications like browsers to make sure thay haven't 'stolen' the shortcuts.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh! I'm so happy! I've only been using ID for decades. DERP! I'm doing a legal magazine, and they italicize all the things.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working. On PC. AE version 17.5.0. The font has a bold varriant. What am I missing. I even went into the Keyboar Shortcuts tool to see if I coud reassign it to a new key binding but "bold" and "italic" does not show up at all when I search the commands. What am I missing?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. Realised this is an InDesign discussion not After Effects.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sir Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + B and Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + I is not working so do you

have any ideas to make it correct  so could you plse replay my msg.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, that works like a champ.  Now if I could only select a word or series of words using only key strokes I stop using the mouse entirely.  Thanks for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + leftor right arrow keys, depending on which way you want to move through the text.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2009 Aug 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You rock Peter.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are threeother solutions:

1. Create Bold and Italic Character Styles with Shortcuts (see screen shot).
  2. Use QuickApply Ctrl (Cmd) + Enter (Return)Character_Style_Options.pngQuick_Apply_and__Untitled-1___104___GPU_Preview_.png
  3. If the same text or text string always needs to be bold or italic, the easiest solution is to set up a GREP style that will automatically apply the specified character style.Paragraph_Style_Options.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines