• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create a border like this using InDesign CC2018?

New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to create a border of stars that is adjustable when the border is enlarged or reduced in size?

starsborder.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

You can't do this in InDesign. In Illustrator you could do this several ways including making a pattern brush or using a blend. You're best bet would be to create it in Illustrator and then place it in InDesign. If you need to adjust it, edit the link, adjust in Illustrator, then update in InDesign. Not quite as easy as having it right there in InDesign but pretty simply nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never done what you asked. however, in the stroke styles panel from the stroke panel has the option to make a new stroke. you can't make that star from there. however, it lets you load a stroke. So maybe make the stroke in illustrator and load it in indesign?

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 2.40.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just tried to see if i could load it and i could not.

i made the box with the stroke using illustrator, here is how: Make a Circle of Stars in Illustrator Quickly and Easily - YouTube

However i can't load it and if i place it its not editable the way you are asking.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 2.52.46 PM.png

found this post and it seems somebody used a font:Where can I get some decorative strokes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do this in InDesign. In Illustrator you could do this several ways including making a pattern brush or using a blend. You're best bet would be to create it in Illustrator and then place it in InDesign. If you need to adjust it, edit the link, adjust in Illustrator, then update in InDesign. Not quite as easy as having it right there in InDesign but pretty simply nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a possible workaround, you could create a rectangle and populate it with the Type on a Path tool using a wingding star or other glyph. Size the type to a common size you might use. When you scale the box, the text stars should adjust in size, as well. I'd just keep a copy in a library for easy use. Not quite as convenient as a stroke style, but easier than starting from scratch each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

along  that  same  directive … you  can  'place'  your  "star"  image  within  the  *.indd  document.  from  there,  you  can  simply  'copy/paste'  that  image (rather than text) … using  type-on-path  tool.  once  you  have  pasted  enough  "star"  images … you  can  adjust  the  'spacing'  by  using  the  character  palette's  'kern/track'  operands.

furthermore,  upon  realizing  the  placed  image  is  too  large … you  can  easily  use  the  transform  tool  to  make  image  smaller.  then,  utilize  that  smaller  object.

just  keep  in  mind … the  orientation  of  that  image  will  follow  the  path … so,  the  image  will  not  always  remain  'upright'.

image2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is a great way to do that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

forgot  to  mention … you  can,  at  any  time,  resize  the  'element/container' … using  the  selection  tool.  in  lieu  of  that,  the  type-on-path  probably  would  need  adjusting  as  well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines