• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I remove "required" fonts from InDesign?

Contributor ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CC including InDesign. There are a lot of fonts available in InDesign that are packaged with the software that I don't want. These fonts are in:

Applications / Adobe InDesign 2020 / Resources / Required / fonts

Inside this folder are 40 OpenType font files.

When I try to move the fonts out of this folder (to disable them) they just create an alias and don't move out of the folder.

1. Should I leave these fonts where they are?

2. If they are not required or essential for the running of CC how can I move them?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say the clue's in the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess so!

It's annoying though. I don't want Trajan Color and all the other fonts in my font menu and slowing my computer down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want these fonts visible in your font menu, mark just the fonts you want to see as Favorites. (1)

Simply click the Star to the right of the font name in the font family menu. Then in the filters section on top of the menu, click the star to see only Favorites. (2)

See screenshots below.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 11.37.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for that.

It's more that I want to be in control of the fonts running on my computer - not someone else. As a graphic designer I run with the minimum fonts possible - and only activite fonts as and when necassary. I'm a big fan of Kurt Lang: http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

– and let's face it, who wants Trajan Color Concept font activated? I really can't believe that these fonts are required for CC to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...delete them and see what happens. Or...just rename the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt Lang - the font management guru - doesn't recommend this. I've tried moving them out of the folder, but can't. And the folder does say Resources / Required / fonts  so given these three things I'm reluctant to delete the fonts in case it breaks CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that hard to put them back. The only reason I can think of for those fonts to be required (and I may be wrong) is for some default templates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've removed the foreign language fonts, Minion (the non variable version),  Myriad (the non variable version) and TrajanColor-Concept and no problems with InDesign yet to report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great. That pretty much confirms my feeling that most, if not all of them, are for templates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines