• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How: DataMerge->Export as individual PDFs-> automatically name each PDF using PDF dynamic fields

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ASC - 

I find myself under pressure to create a few thousand COVID test results per day, with great urgency, using the excel output file of a molecular biology lab that does the work and needs to have it conveyed in a special PDF form to the government.

I've solved all but the last steps of the process using DataMerge and the option to save as individual PDFs I can now generate the test bulletins. But for these tests to be distributed fast to hundreds of destinations and thousands of recipients, I need to be able to implement a naming protocol and this is where I got stuck.

Each PDF should be named using a combination of specific fields from its content, such as test_result, pacient_name, test_date, test_place, etc

I am relatively new to Indesign and have reached my competency limit with this one. I can probably crack it given enough time, but time is exactly what we lack.

Can you help me please? 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TracyOsh 

if you're working on macOS you could use the native Finder function to rename multiple files at once – asuming you want to add a static text to the filename: Just select the files you want to rename, right click, rename. There you can set it to add text and...

Not sure if Windows Explorer can do something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jens Trost 
I ended up buying Colin's paid version of the plugin and it is fantastic. I can get the filename to be exactly what I want. The only thing I hate is that the info is not saved. You have to reenter, where to save, file type, and filename set up each and every time. If you made a mistake... do it all over again. But still, it is a massive time saver so this is just a little nit. 

I do use file renamers a lot but thrilled I don't have to use it at all when I use Colin's script.  

--Tracy Osh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click the script I get this pop up, what am i doing wrong? There are no missing fonts in this document, i checked everything,

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 11.45.00 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Melissa23305900c3yz 

I had this issue too but I did not with the paid version of the script (it's like $15 or something). I am haven't had any issues with that version of the script. My only issue is InDesign sometimes crashes completely when I select datamerge. It will crash for days... then it is fine. No idea what ID isn't happy with. Maybe it was a phase of the moon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting .INDDs, is it possible to not export layers that are inactive?

(While i am using different Data for different languages, each language has its own layer. Only one at a time is active. It would save filesize, rendering time and CPU later on without the inactive layers)

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click the script I get this pop up, what am i doing wrong? There are no missing fonts in this document, i checked everything,

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 11.45.00 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there. Sorry for the late response. I'm the author of the script.

The "missing font" prompt can be a little too touchy in the free version, but it's a failsafe put in so that users don't inadvertently run the script and then have lots of results with font substitution.

That said, email me via my colecandoo.com contact page to see about getting a version with the font warning toned down.

Colin

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found the script, downloaded and installed by I am getting the following error, any ideas?error.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there. Colin Flashman from my OBH account here.

I've just updated the instructions that are shipped with the script that describe some of the error codes which may be appearing - these instructions are now available for downloads of the script as of 25 October.

The error 107014 is as follows: The script may have been run on an InDesign file that was already merged. The script needs to be run on the pre-merged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI Just used this and it works as intended!  Props to the dev.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines