• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a standard page layout template for my book?

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am creating a layout for a book in Indesign. I have about 3 standard setups that I would like to use to set up my content. I thought I could use a master page with text boxes that are formatted with the paragraph style for the text and save it as a template. When I opened the document based on the template, the pages that I formatted using the master page would not allow me to enter text into the boxes. I have tried several ways of doing this and am exceedingly frustrated as I know that there is something simple that I am missing somewhere. I can't find any tutorials on this. Does anyone here know or could point me to a tutorial that will show me how to solve what seems to be a simple problem. thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

The reason I didn't just tell you how was because there are good reasons to use or not use master page items, and I thought you might get some perspective with a little research, but I can tell you. There are a few different ways.

1. Hold Shift and Command (if you're on a Mac) and click on a master page item that's on a document page and it will release.
  2. If you're placing text, you go to File>Place, navigate to your text file and click the Open button, and your text cursor will be "loaded" (you will

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things you place on the master page will be on all of the document pages that have the particular master page applied to them. The items are locked on the document pages by default. If you want to change a master-page item on a document page (such as adding content to a text frame), you have to release (unlock) it.

You might want to spend some time learning how to use master pages before you get too deep into this project. Try a Google search for something like InDesign best practices master pages and see what you can find. There are also some videos on lynda.com, and some might be free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting something up so quickly.  I will definitely check out those resources. I think the main thing I am trying to figure out is how to release or unlock the text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I didn't just tell you how was because there are good reasons to use or not use master page items, and I thought you might get some perspective with a little research, but I can tell you. There are a few different ways.

1. Hold Shift and Command (if you're on a Mac) and click on a master page item that's on a document page and it will release.
  2. If you're placing text, you go to File>Place, navigate to your text file and click the Open button, and your text cursor will be "loaded" (you will know what I mean when you see how the insertion arrow changes). If you click on a master-page text frame on a document page, it will unlock the frame as it loads the text. If all of the text doesn't fit, you will get a red X in the lower right corner that tells you that you have overflow text. If you want to have InDesign flow the text through master-page text frames on subsequent pages, or create new pages as it goes, hold the shift key before clicking into the frame.
  3. You can select a page or pages from the Pages pallet and choose Override All Master Page Items from the fly-out menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. That is perfect.  I so appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines