• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I keep my text formating when pasting from other InDesign files?

Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to post charts from one InDesign file to another.  The chart I'm trying to paste has hand-made fractions in them. The font is superscript and baseline shifted. When I paste it into a new document, the text loses all that formatting. It seems like a preferance thing, but I can't find it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worth adding this to the thread even though it is quite old. But after experiencing the same problem, I figured out the (very easy and logical) solution.

In the source document just group the character styles into a new group with a unique name, and do the same with the paragraph styles.

Then you can copy/paste the content or move the pages into another document, and any styles with the same name will not conflict, as the groups are also copied over, so they are considered separate.

Easy. Hope that helps someone out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was struggling with this this morning and read this forum.  I know it's been years, but if anyone else has this problem, I think I found the solution.

I had a document from another person with their settings.  When I would copy and paste into this document, it would do exactly what the OP says, it would reformat all my text.

So, here's what worked.  I went to Paragraph Styles, Opened "Basic Paragraph", then clicked "No Paragraph Style" next to "Based on" and "Next Style".  THEN, I clicked "Reset to Base" (the button right next to it).  That's it!  This worked!  Now I can copy and paste text into this document without it reformatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines