• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I overprint black with gold and have it shown in overprint view?

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a black plane and above Pantone 871 C gold shall be printed.

As I understand, the setting "overprint" (which should be called "overprinting") has to be set on the golden object above the black plane. I also disabled the setting "overprint black 100%". And my Pantone gold is set to 100%. Still, if I activate "overprint preview", the golden object vanishes.

Is this the same bug that occures with overprinting white paint on black (indesign to stupid to correctly calculate colors in CMYKA) or did I do something wrong? 

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would help if you could include some screenshots to assist your description.

So you have a black object in the background, and a PANTONE 871 object in the foreground (i.e. above the black object) and you have been asked to make the PANTONE 871 object overprint the black object, correct?

This is how it should look without overprint;

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 2.00.02 am.png

and this is how it should look with overprint

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 2.00.26 am.png

That is actually correct. InDesign treats all inks on-screen as if they were transparent, but PANTONE 871 is opaque, meaning it won't blend into the colours below it. It doesn't look right on screen, but so far as colour separation is concerned then the behaviour is correct.

However, setting colours to overprint isn't something I generally ask people to do during the design stage - this will be something that I do as a prepress operator in order to get the job to print appropriately.

 

 

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure to overprint with metallic any other color. Ask your printer if thT is a good idea. I would not do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lordrhavin , Also, InDesign does’t have accurate color mangement for Spot colors. The solid color libraries like Pantone+ Coated, which are defined as instrument read Lab values, can display accurately at 100% with no overprint, but there is no way to spec the opacity of an ink relative to what it is printing over, or its dot gain at different percentages. If you are overprinting, blending, or running the solid inks at a percentage, you can’t rely on a screen soft proof.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lordrhavin, same issue as your white post, there is no understanding of an Ink's Opaqueness in PDF nor InDesign.

PANTONE 871 is not as opaque as a Gold Foil, so pre-press would sometimes print 50% or 100% process Yellow rather than solid black underneath, your overprint preview would be improved but depends on the print process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines