Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you create a Chapter Page before your Running Header

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please, c ould anyone help me with my chapter page?

Basically, I'd like to have a Blank Chapter page with a Text Variable of the Header of the following page.

monicat85957889_1-1720024912025.png

Basically like the image above. 

I've created a master page that shows the text variable for Running Header (see screenshot below), but for some reason it only shows after the page that has the header.

monicat85957889_3-1720024982720.png

Is there a way to make the section page before the section heading appear as an automated text variable?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Monica

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Write the text of the running jeader on this cover page. Use a paragraph style. On the master/parent use a running header text frame based on the paragraph style you have written on the cover page.

On the first use in headline use the same text variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi, 

Thank you very much for the answer, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having to write it twice.

The problem I have now is that the Header Introduction I have on the next page is connected to my contents table. Once I copy that to the page where the the text variable master page is going to be it duplicates on my contents table. S 😥

I've screenshot what happens when I do that. what I wanted to avoid is to have to update a "cover page" of the section with another title on the page. It defeats the automated purposed of using the Text Vairable.

monicat85957889_0-1720076428840.png

monicat85957889_1-1720076481130.png

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to write it twice, use the text variables not on on the cover but in the headline. That is the only way to get the taxtvariabe in use here

Another method could be to use a cross reference which will draw the content of the following headline on the cover. But this method seems to me more complicated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi, 

I see what you mean now. I'll try that. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi, 

It works now! Thank you very much for the guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get this to work by using a running header variable in a frame on a two-page Parent Spread, but it was not straight-forward at all. I happened to be working in Version 16, but see no reason it won't work in later versions.

The frame must span BOTH pages of the spread and be wider on the right page than the left so that it really belongs to the right hand page, not the left.  I used a two-cell table to position the variable in the center of the left page, aligning the cell edges with the margin guides on the left page. You could probably move the cell boundaries or change insets to get the postioning as you want it -- I just center aligned it on the page.

In your document you can use any Parent page, or [None], for the right-hand page on which the title is entered so long as the left page of the spread uses the Parent that has the variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the reason for doing it this way, rather than, as Willi suggested, is that the TOC will reflect the page on which the chapter text starts, rather than the blank header page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, 

I had set that way, having a piece of the header on the cover page to have the text variable pick up the header, however, the problem would be when I needed a new page like that, it wouldn't work because I'd have to replicate that, and sometimes, as I'm not the only one who manipulates the file, it would be hard to explain that to newcomers.

Luckily, my title/ header doesn't show a page on the contents table, which facilitates the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the variable is on the Parent spread, as I suggested, it is automatic.

You do have to apply the parent to the page, but that's the only requirement.

If you want to do this on the document page directly instead you can, create a frame to hold the "real" header and the variable, copy it to a library, then drag it onto your chapter start page,  but that seems much more work to me than doing it on the Parent page. You can even ignore the function until the end of editing, then assign the correct Parent page to all your chapter stasret pages in one operation from the Pages Panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, 

Thank you very much. That was a lot of intormation to take in haha... I'm not that uch of an expert on Indesign... but somehow the way I set now works. 

monicat85957889_0-1720099916410.png

But I'll keep that in mind for future templates.

Kind regards,

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As long as you're happy with the TOC linking to the left page you're fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines