• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How prevent ID from auto-threading text frames?

Contributor ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this with dozens of ID projects: place the text of one TXT file as one story (= threaded text frames) in ID, and then add more text in this way. So if I place 8 TXT files in ID, my ID file has 8 stories. So far, so good.

With the current ID project, however, it's different. In a new (and empty) ID file, I placed 8 TXT files as described above (files A to H), and there were 8 stories. But after editing some text across these 8 stories (changing, adding, deleting some words and sentences) I discovered that suddenly there were only 3 stories in my ID file: while the text of A and B is in a separate story each, the text of C to H has been auto-threaded into one single story.

I need the text of C to H to be in separated stories as well to be able to make changes that affect the text in a specific story only. Luckily, no text has disappeared, so I can restore the 8 stories by unthreading the first frames of D to H.

My question is: What can I do to prevent ID from auto-threading text frames again? And why were the text frames at the beginning of some of the stories threaded in the first place? (Smart Text Reflow is turned off so this had no influence.)

ID 17.4.2
macOS 12.6.8

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your preferences for smart text reflow - it's at the bottom here

EugeneTyson_0-1693462952012.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it's turned off already …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text frames don't auto-thread, unless you have some plugin or third party script at play.

I have never seen a text auto-thread, it just goes to overset text.

So the text frames must be threaded already. 

You can check that in the View> Show Text Threads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that text frames should not auto-thread, but in this case they did.

Originally there were 8 stories in the file, and suddenly there were only 3, without me threading some of the frames. Show Text Threads shows some of the text frames that should not be threaded are now threaded. No plugin or script was at play as far as I remember. I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be you accidentally threaded them yourself during editing...

There's a Split Story Script, I believe, in the samples that might break them apart for you at selected frames (work on a copy).

There are some more possibilities on this Google search page: https://www.google.com/search?channel=fen&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=indesign+story+splitter#ip=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I've now split the story (in the manual way) and simply hope auto-threading will not happen again …

Also, I've made two files out of the original 400-page file – perhaps the file was too big? (I need to work with an INDB anyway.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious case indeed.

Peter has pointed to a script that will unthread them.

Odd - perhaps it accidently done - but hard to envisage this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at your Parent pages to see whether a text frame is pre-built there?

Have you ruled out some sort of document file corruption?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! The parent pages have no text frames on them.

I think I can rule out file corruption – I started with a new file from scratch, and the files I placed were TXT files.

Anyway, I hope auto-threading won't happen again. Your answers show me that I've probably not missed the obvious, so that's reassuring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines