• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Change Binding Direction to Right-to-Left in InDesign 19.5 for Yiddish Projects

Participant ,
Oct 14, 2024 Oct 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm doing  a project in Yiddish and need to change my binding direction to right to left. I can't figure out how to do that in InDesign 19.5.

I gather there's no separate ME version of InDesign anymore. I don't see the option in Document Settings or Prefs.

I've got the right to left paragraph styles working correctly, that's not the problem. It's getting the pagination to go from right to left.

Thanks for your help!

Kurt

<Title renamed by MOD>

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2024 Oct 14, 2024

You need to have installed a ME enabled version.

Binding is found in New Document and in File > Docunent Set Up…

If you do not have installed an ME version, go to the CC Desktop Application, change tha language in the preferences to Hebrew and install the programs you need above the exising versions. Later you can switch back to your prefered language. Now you will find language specific functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have installed a ME enabled version.

Binding is found in New Document and in File > Docunent Set Up…

If you do not have installed an ME version, go to the CC Desktop Application, change tha language in the preferences to Hebrew and install the programs you need above the exising versions. Later you can switch back to your prefered language. Now you will find language specific functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A followup question -- it's a little confusing when I export my right to left doc to pdf. While the spreads continue to be correctly numbered right to left, the overall sequence seems to be left to right. that is, the pdf opens on p1, and then clicking on the right arrow key (not the left arrow key) navigates to the next page.  Will my printer know that the whole book prints right to left because the pdf language is set to a right-to-left language?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to communicate with your Printer.

Right ti left <> Left to right is on various levels:

1. Document Level > Document set up or New Document
  2. Object Level > Story and Object Styles
  3. Paragraph Level > Paragraph Styles
  4. Character Level > Character Styles
  5. Tables > Table and Cell Style

Switching a document might be problematic if one of these levels is wrong defined and it can be mixed correctly but also wrongly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2024 Oct 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks much!

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines