• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to combine two shapes so that a stroke outlines both of them as one item

Enthusiast ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I'm trying to combine two shapes in InDesign. I know how to do this in Illustrator, but it's something I will need to change often, so it would easiest if I could do it in InDesign. I created the two shapes and went to the pathfinder... I choose the first icon ("Combine selected objects into one shape"). This seems to combine them just fine. But when I go to add a stroke to the new shape... it's outlining each original shape... not the new, combined shape. I saw online I should expand the appearance of the new shape... but I don't see that option? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Ah... I figured out what I was doing wrong. If I zoom in, I see that the two shapes weren't actually touching... but it looked like they were at 100%. So when I overlapped them, then combined them... then stroked them... it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, are you sure that you select the new shape with the black arrow? Just tested a few minutes ago and it works as expected when you select the combined shape with te selection tool (the black arrow) but it adds a stroke around the originigal shapes if you select it with the direct selection tool (the white arrow).

No, what I wrote is wrong. I always get a stroke around the new combined shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... I figured out what I was doing wrong. If I zoom in, I see that the two shapes weren't actually touching... but it looked like they were at 100%. So when I overlapped them, then combined them... then stroked them... it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks  for  taking  the  time  to  share  with  us  your  resolution,  juile … and  elaborating  as  well  as  you  did!  you  just  may  have  helped  someone  else  in  the  process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines