• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create multiple record layout when data merging in Master Pages in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to retail updatable data by creating the data merge on the master page. I would like to create a multiple record layout of the group data field (for example label box 9 up on master page), but the option to do multiple record layout is greyed out. Does anyone know of a way to create multiple data instead of single pages? Also, Can you have multiple updatable data sources for different sections of the document i.e. different date for sections in a brochure for example? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working backwards:

"Can you have multiple updatable data sources for different sections of the document i.e. different date for sections in a brochure for example?"

No. Data Merge is very much a one-off operation in most ways. Even your notion of "updatable" is limited in concept, in that an updated data source doesn't necessarily update a merge document—more like it facilitates a new instance of merge, resulting in a new merge document.

"Does anyone know of a way to create multiple data instead of single pages?"

Yes, to make your 9-up scenario, you'd have to start a new, single-page document and set up the first of the 9 instances at a size that will fit on the page 8 more times.

Capture.PNG

Then when you choose Create Merged Document, InDesign will identify that there is space on the page for a Multi-Record Layout, and the Multi-Record Layout tab will become available, allowing you to control the margins, columns, and spacing of the 8 additional instances InDesign will automatically generate and polulate with the next 8 records. Additional pages will also be automatically generated, as many as needed to accommodate the number of records in the data source.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried your advice. I've left plenty of space for multiples on the master page, but it's still not allowing me to do multiple record layout. Is there something else that i should be looking out for? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you choosing it on the Records tab? Or, is that where you're finding it unavailable?

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it finally worked with when I changed the document setup to be single pages only. Before, I had only deleted the second page in the master. 

Basically, is there a good way to create updatable text fields for an education brochure with a large number of course information (grouped text fields) and different course types (in different brochure sections)? The client wants a robust system where they can update the information from CSV file in the future.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" I have a double page spread in the masters. Will this stop me from being able to record multiple layout on the Master pages?"

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you tell me if there’s a good way to save updatable data on multiple spreads? Or is there a plug in that I need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple record data merge is a feature that I try to avoid unless I absolutely have no alternative. I've written an article about it on my blog that features how it works, along with some pain points that it can present: https://colecandoo.com/2013/12/28/data-merge-multiple-record-madness/

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Colin. I agree with you as I’m discovering this function. I’ve convinced my client to purchase a catalog plug in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you hae a single page master, or a double-page one? How many pages are in your docuemnt? 
A double-page master or a document that has with more than one page will result in Multiple Record being grayed out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks for your help with this. I have a double page spread in the masters. Will this stop me from being able to record multiple layout on the Master pages? 

Basically, is there a good way to create updatable text fields for an education brochure with a large number of course information (grouped text fields) and different course types (in different brochure sections)? The client wants a robust system where they can update the information from Excel in the future.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at data/catalog plugins? I think you could try demos of each.

InData and InCatalog – emsoftware.com

EasyCatalog – 65bit.com

LiveMerge and Extreme – cacidi.com

Designmerge – meadowsps.com

Datalinker - teacupsoftware.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines