• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to display digital object identifiers (DOI) in index entries?

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

First, a little background for those who are not familiar with the DOI:

A Digital Object Identifier (DOI) is a handle used to uniquely identify articles.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_object_identifier)

Here’s an example of a DOI:

10.1000/182

You can see it in action by going to https://www.doi.org/ and entering this number and see how it points you to the article.

Now, my question is – working on a scientific journal that all its articles have an individual DOI assigned to them- I need to be able to generate an index that displays each article DOI beside the page number, like:

Influenza

10.1000/182,p21

10.1000/182,p23

Where Influenza is a term in the index, “10.1000/182” is the article’s DOI and “p21” and “p23” are the page numbers the term “Influenza” appeared.

For saving your time, let me tell you that I already tried:

• Using InDesign built-in Sections as placeholder for DOI – Will not work because they are limited to 8 characters
  • Using InDesign built in Chapters in the same fashion mentioned above – They won’t appear in index, as documented by adobe

One solution might be to define a text variable called “DOI” for each article, but I don’t know how to call the variable when generating the index.

Thanks for you guidance in advance,

Kasra

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just 2 first questions:

How do you do the index?

I mean: Have you a list of words you want to be indexed where we find the word "Inluenza"?

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your help. I use the InDesign built-in Indexing tools to mark up terms like "influenza", author names, important keywords, etc, and when the article is final, I use the index panel to generate the index.

Kind regards,

Kasra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next questions on InDesignSecrets! …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… It can be done by Script!

If interested, you could contact me by email.

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

michel.allio.fridnge@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michel,

Thank you very much for your advice and offer. Let me try to find out a way and if I was unsuccessful, I'll surely ask for your help.

Kind regards,

Kasra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines