• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can I export all individual layers in indesign to a photoshop file with the same layer structure?

is there a script you can use?

thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

If you are on a Mac this Applescript will do it:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PageToPSLayersV3.zip

The script exports PDFs of the ID layers and reassembles them in PS. In order to get the layers to register you need to include registration marks in the PDF preset you choose—the zip archive includes the preset I use. After running the script you can use canvas size to eliminate the crop marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 154 Replies 154
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a horrible suggestion. Illustrator is not a PDF editor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export your indesign file to PDF and open in Illustrator again Export as Psd..enjoy

This has already come up see posts 78-82

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time running scripts here... can anyone help?

So I'm trying to run the script on my IDD file, but I'm not sure that it's working. When it opens the PSD, it still says "Layer 1" and that's it. I thought I'd see multiple layers. All up-to-date versions of ID and PS on my Mac.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script only replicates InDesign's item Layers and not the page items that are associated with the layer. So this would export the Text and Background layers but not <rectangle> or <Some Text>, which aren't really layers—they are page items.

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 11.39.44 AM.png

The script seems to work fine with 2018, but I haven't done much testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve translated the AppleScript version into JS. If anyone is interested the first version can be downloaded here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-layers-to-photoshop-js-version/td-p/11484245?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines