• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Export to PDF with Bleed CONTENT but without the Bleed/Trim Marks. (Indesign)

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reading this question and hopefully providing a good solution. The title is only a part of the question. But lets start with that:

1. Trying to export a from indesign to pdf to have single 8.5x11" pages plus bleeds but without bleed (trim) marks and the extra white space to show them.I need the bleed content as we will be applying those marks later when converting to a booklet in acrobat as the forums say that is how you impose a booklet and not directly from indesign.

For some reason i only have two options in Indesign subscription service, pdf with bleeds cut off and bleeds with marks and surrounding white space.

2. The issue with the latter comes when we convert these individual pages into a 2-Up Duplex printed saddle stitch booklet. So if there are white spaces and bleed marks surrounding the individual pages then we got white spaces and bleed mark in the center of the document.

Here is an example. See how the spine area is all messed up. AS you can see here we actually removed the inner bleeds to attempt to fix this but it still leaves other marks and white space etc... the two pages should be seamless in the center.

IF someone can tell me how to create a pdf from indesign with the bleed content but without the marks then I am pretty sure I can convert that into a booklet with the correct bleeds on the outside of the 11 x 17 spreads only.

Unless there's a better system here. I know you can create a booklet straight from indesing but many say to never do that, including a couple guys posting with adobe under their name.

4 questions: getting farther off topic but its all part of the same project and task. My adobe acrobat and adobe indesign do not allow custom paper sizes when exporting to booklet. The highest is TAbloid. and of course I think I need something bigger than 11 x 17 to have room for the 3mm bleeds that extend past that size. Suggestions on that? Is it an industry standard to just shrink those down? so your magazines are 11x17 MINUS the bleeds? and you get like a 10.75 x 16.5 document instead?

Thanks everyone! This one has been driving me mad, as magazine design seems like such an industry staple for indesign so this final prep to get it to the printer has been maddening.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

IF someone can tell me how to create a pdf from indesign with the bleed content but without the marks then I am pretty sure I can convert that into a booklet with the correct bleeds on the outside of the 11 x 17 spreads only.

Uncheck all of the printer marks and include a Bleed with the Inside set to 0

Screen Shot 7.png

In AcrobatPro with art. trim and bleed boxes showing, and the Page Display set as Two Page Scrolling

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tick Use Document Bleed Settings and leave Printers Marks unticked. (See screen shot)

Are you printing this document to your desktop printer or giving it to a commercial printer to print, if so leave it to the printer to do the imposition (and note, duplex booklet printing on normal desk-top printers may be unsatisfactory)

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 11.41.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to find a new printer if this is being put on you.

All of this is the printer's responsibility. You export a PDF with bleeds and no marks (any modern printer will add their own based on the info in the PDF). You're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck all of the printer marks and include a Bleed with the Inside set to 0

Screen Shot 7.png

In AcrobatPro with art. trim and bleed boxes showing, and the Page Display set as Two Page Scrolling

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks guys such a simple thing huh! Of course clicking no printer marks but clicking use document bleed settings worked perfectly. Thank you!

About imposing into a booklet, that still presents some problems and I think you are right that it should be something the printer should be doing. The chinese sourcing liaison said differently but I think he may be wrong and the actual printer will be able to use the single page pdf to impose the booklet. Let's hope.

Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines