• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to import only a section of Word doc

Contributor ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to import just one part of a Word doc into InDesign? For example, let's say a client makes changes to Chapter 6 – if I copy and paste the changes, the formatting is lost, and if I use "place" (allowing formatting to remain), it places the whole document. I've divied the InDesign doc into sections, so am hoping I can make changes to individual sections as needed. Your help is appreciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Hi @saxtonstudio:

You can change the paste defaults to see if that works for you:

paste.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @saxtonstudio:

You can change the paste defaults to see if that works for you:

paste.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to work well – at least with regular bodies of text and their styles.

But for the Endnotes section, none of the footnote numbers came through (they do show in the body of the text, just not when I import the Endnotes separately...  this may be a whole different situation! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Footnotes or endnotes? These are two separate features in InDesign, and in Word. Can you share a screen shot?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I copy and paste the changes, the formatting is lost

That doesn't have to be the case. Go to Preferences > Clipboard Handling and tick "Text Only".

And...you're using paragraph styles, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, and yes, am using paragraph styles. 🙂 I think Barb's suggestion of checking the the "all information" makes sense though, because I want the styling to come in, not just the text. But I'll try this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of suggestions (possibly for the future...):

• Import each chapter separately. This might mean breaking the Word file down into separate chapters, but it is worth it in the long run. Then you only have to deal with one chapter's changes.
  • Word has a Compare Document feature so you can see where the changes have been made from the previous Word file. Then you can just copy-paste the changed sections.
  • Look into Em Software WordsFlow--it can link the Word file to InDesign so the author/editor can edit in Word and the changes will appear in InDesign.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great ideas! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't really think of a way to make this work except to cut out the part of the Word doc you want to replace.

1. Extract the new Chapter 6 text.
  2. Save it as a file of its own.
  3. Place it in the ID document, perhaps in a text frame of its own.
  4. Edit and format as needed.
  5. Cut/paste over the prior Chapter 6.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to David Creamer's answer and makes good sense - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines