• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to limit interactive text field and have it automatically tab

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a form with interactive text fields. I want to have  a series of text fields in which a user can enter only a single letter (or character) and and once they enter the letter it will automatically tab to the next field, so the user doesn't have to hit tab or click in the next box. Is it possible to set this up in InDesign?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-automatically-advance-to-next-field-in-ado...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, regarding your reply, itr appears that there is no way to do this in InDesign, only in Acrobat correct? And the auto tab involves creating JavaScript (which I have no experince with). Is that correct?

Also, I see no way in InDesign to limit the number of characters in a text field other than reducing teh size of the box so it can only fit one character. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it involves using JavaScript, so it may or may not work on the user's device.

InDesign should be considered at the _starting point_ for making a PDF form; the PDF almost always requires edits and adjustments in Acrobat Pro afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with David. It's hard to avoid putting finishing touches with Acrobat after creating a form in InDesign. Unless it's an extremely simple form, and in your case, it's going to require a bit more than InDesign can deliver. And I don't think drawing a smaller box will actually limit input, it will simply cut it off and frustrate the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. After playinga around alittle more, I realzed I can accomplish what I need simply by using the "Comb of" field under Properties/Options.

I still would have preferred to do this InDesign so I don't have to do the extra step every time I Export the pdf after editing the doc, but at least it is simple to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to. Just use the replace pages command. The interactive items will stay right where they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a comb of 1 will not automatically advance one to the next field. 

Below is the method I use to update the form's underlying PDF. I drag the page thumbnail to the form's page thumbnail while holding down Cntl-Alt. (It should be Cmd-Opt on Mac but I'm too lazy to boot up my Mac to test it.)

2022-07-28_12-04-57.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I had a limit of 10 characters , so I set it to Comb of 10, which seperated it out into 10 separate "boxes". Typing in a character automatically advanced it through each of  the 10 "boxes".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct--but that is still one field. Is this data being collected electronically or just printed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines