• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Remove Broken Links from InDesign's Links Panel

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reusing an InDesign (2015) document that had many images linked. Those images are gone forever, but the missing links are still in the Links panel. I just want to remove those linked images from the Links panel.

The images or the linked images do not exist in the document structure. There must be a way to remove these useless orphaned linked images from the Links panel.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Unless there is something wrong with the document you should be able to delete the parent of all the missing links via a script. The parent, which could be hidden somehow, would exist whether the link is missing or not. So this AppleScript works for me—deleting the parent graphic removes the link reference in the Links panel:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

delete (parent of every link of active document whose status is link missing)

end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

I had the exact same issue - it occurred when I deleted a page that still had objects on it. They hung around with no associated page and I could NOT get rid of the warning. But saving as an IDML file (just using file > save as, and not exporting), then re-opening and saving as usual reset the file perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha, of course! Silly me. 😄

Here's the file. I deleted all the pages and all the parent pages — it's effectively a blank, empty document now — but my broken link is still there in the links panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Links panel is empty:

Screen Shot 1.png

Are you sure you deleted the correct Caches and Preference folders?:

macOS:

user ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Caches⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Version 18.0⁩

⁨user ▸ ⁨Preferences⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Version 18.0⁩

Windows

Users ▸ ⁨AppData⁩ ▸ Local ▸ ⁨Adobe ▸ InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Version 18.0⁩

Users ▸ ⁨ UserName ▸ ⁨ AppData ▸ ⁨ Roaming ▸ ⁨ Adobe ▸ ⁨ InDesign ▸ ⁨ Version 18

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same issue - it occurred when I deleted a page that still had objects on it. They hung around with no associated page and I could NOT get rid of the warning. But saving as an IDML file (just using file > save as, and not exporting), then re-opening and saving as usual reset the file perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @mamafour — your solution fixed the problem for me. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for that tip. Never crossed my mind about the IDML.  See, 6 years later you are still helping. Again, A HUGE THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines