Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set up guides for this kind of content

Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have this design where the guides are set up 8 rows, 8 columns, with .4cm gutter inside the margin.

The design works fine like this:

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 10.04.23.png

However I want to insert a colored box behind the content in the lower section, but now I got this problem:

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 10.01.20.png

The image and the right-most text frame need some padding to look good, but if I only apply the padding to both, then their widths would not be the same as the two middle text frame:

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 10.09.20.png

My question is how would you set up margin/guides for designs like this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only option i know is to extend the width of the colored box beyond the margin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HA !! That's indeed a real designer's dilemma ! You can't have your cake and eat it. You can't have identical column widths and adjust these column aligned boxes with inside padding (to give the text a decent margin). These widths indeed create an uneven vertical alignment and an extra optical line...

Try finding a nice optical interplay between these widths and other aligned elements, in order to de-emphasize the visual difference. Welcome to the not-so-perfect world of layout 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines