• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to skew text in InDesign to look like it exists in 3D space.

Participant ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware that InDesign is probably not the tool I should be using to do this, I'm sure Photoshop or Illustrator is better, but this is the tool I have. I have an image of a box, and I am trying to put text on the surfaces of the box to make it look like there is print on all sides of the box. The face of the box is no problem, it's mostly facing the viewer so I can just slightly tilt my text and place it on top. I am not sure how to handle the top of the box though. I would need to make the text look like it is laying down flat with the bottom of the text facing the viewer and the top facing away. Does anyone know if/how you can accomplish this with InDesign? I'm not sure if I am explaining this well enough or what images might help... Basically I only know how to create text in a 2D space along the X & Y axis, I need to make it sit on the Z axis.

Example: The text on the top surface of this box.Image result for box with print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Object > Transform > Shear

might be what you need

Screenshot 2019-02-06 14.20.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I accidentally marked this question "Assumed Answered". Not sure what that means but this question has not been answered, I am still looking for suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to un-mark the question so that it shows as unanswered in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what that means but I don't see the option to mark as "unanswered" anywhere. I also don't see the "edit" option anymore, I think I might have missed my window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Transform > Shear

might be what you need

Screenshot 2019-02-06 14.20.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it! I'll let you know how it works. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a moderator, I fixed it. The question is now Not Answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One more thing -- for the text on top of the box, you will have to add some text skew in addition to the Shear to get the angle of the text correct.

Screenshot 2019-02-06 14.48.07.png Screenshot 2019-02-06 14.50.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines