Exit

Hyperlinking script

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

493FEBB1-2F58-4FDA-98B2-5DEECEB79A1D.jpeg

Hi All,

I am working on creating a planner on indesign. I have a page with has a calendar of February 2023 like below, I would like to hyperlink the numbers in the corner to all the daily pages I have created for February, is there an easy way to do this please using a script? I have 12 months I would need to do this for. 

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Hi @wahid28246070iu4o, here's a quick script that does what you want, I think. It works on your sample file. To use it, select one or more table cells and run script. You don't need to tell it what month, because I noticed you have set the script labels for the text frames on first page to "calendarDatesN" so the script gets the month from that. Now you just need to set up the pages so that the 1st of each month is a section start with the section prefix "FEB-" and "MAR-" etc. See attached sampl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @wahid28246070iu4o, do you have any scripting experience? It is possible, but we'd need much more specific information about your document. Here's a workflow: you could select cells of a table and run a script. The script could ask you for the month prefix and you enter, for example, "FEB". Then the script makes new hyperlinks and destinations that go to Page named [month prefix]-[content of cell], so for the cell on day 1, the contents is "1" and it links to the page FEB-1.

Just an idea.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking something along this line, I can code in Java but haven't done it in a while unfortunately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I send an example of the document for you to have a look please by any chance? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Java and JavaScript are two different things. Unless you meant JavaScript 😉 

If you have a basic knowledge of the JavaScript - you just need to learn / explore DOM structure of the InDesign and you should be good to go - I'm not JS guy so can't help you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the document I have currently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @wahid28246070iu4o, here's a quick script that does what you want, I think. It works on your sample file. To use it, select one or more table cells and run script. You don't need to tell it what month, because I noticed you have set the script labels for the text frames on first page to "calendarDatesN" so the script gets the month from that. Now you just need to set up the pages so that the 1st of each month is a section start with the section prefix "FEB-" and "MAR-" etc. See attached sample doc. If you want to use a different scheme, just alter the script to match. I've put all the relevent settings in a "settings" object at the start. Let me know how it goes.

- Mark

/**
 * Create hyperlinks to document pages, based on selected table cell contents.
 * @author m1b
 * @version 2023-02-04
 * @discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/hyperlinking-script/m-p/13552525
 */
var settings = {

pageNameTemplate: '#MONTHCODE#-#DAYNUMBER#',
    hyperlinkNameTemplate: 'Goto-#MONTHCODE#-#DAYNUMBER#',
    textFrameLabelMatcher: /calendarDates(\d+)/,
    monthCodes: ['JAN', 'FEB', 'MAR', 'APR', 'MAY', 'JUN', 'JUL', 'AUG', 'SEP', 'OCT', 'NOV', 'DEC'],

};

function main() {

var doc = app.activeDocument,
        counter = 0

if (
        doc.selection.length == 0
        || !doc.selection[0].hasOwnProperty('cells')
        || doc.selection[0].cells == undefined
        || doc.selection[0].cells.length == 0
    ) {
        alert('Please select one or more table cells and try again.');
        return;
    }

var cells = doc.selection[0].cells,
        table = cells[0].parent;

// make sure we have a table object
    while (
        table.constructor.name != 'Table'
        && table.constructor.name != 'Document'
    )
        table = table.parent;

if (
        table.constructor.name != 'Table'
        || !table.isValid
    )
        throw Error('Could not get valid table.');

cellsLoop:
    for (var i = 0; i < cells.length; i++) {

var cell = cells[i];

if (!cell.isValid)
            continue;

// get the day number
        var dayNumber = Number(cell.contents);

if (
            isNaN(dayNumber)
            || dayNumber == 0
        )
            continue;

// get the month code from the text frame label
        var labelParts = table.parent.label.match(settings.textFrameLabelMatcher);

if (labelParts.length < 2)
            // no match
            continue;

var monthNumber = Number(labelParts[1]);

if (
            monthNumber < 1
            && monthNumber > 12
        )
            // not a month number
            continue;

var monthCode = settings.monthCodes[monthNumber - 1];

var destinationPageName = settings.pageNameTemplate
            .replace('#MONTHCODE#', monthCode)
            .replace('#DAYNUMBER#', dayNumber);

var hyperlinkName = settings.hyperlinkNameTemplate
            .replace('#MONTHCODE#', monthCode)
            .replace('#DAYNUMBER#', dayNumber);

// get the page
        var destinationPage = doc.pages.itemByName(destinationPageName);

if (!destinationPage.isValid) {
            alert('There is no page named "' + destinationPageName + '". Script will abort.');
            return;
        }

// remove hyperlink if already exists
        if (doc.hyperlinks.itemByName(hyperlinkName).isValid)
            doc.hyperlinks.itemByName(hyperlinkName).remove();

// remove hyperlinkSources from cell
        var existingHyperlinkSources = cell.texts[0].findHyperlinks();
        for (var j = existingHyperlinkSources.length - 1; j >= 0; j--)
            existingHyperlinkSources[j].remove();

// set up new hyperlink
        var hyperlinkSource = doc.hyperlinkTextSources.add(cell.texts[0]),
            hyperlinkDestination = doc.hyperlinkPageDestinations.add(destinationPage, { hidden: false }),
            hyperlink = doc.hyperlinks.add(hyperlinkSource, hyperlinkDestination);

hyperlink.name = hyperlinkName;
        counter++;

}

alert('Added ' + counter + ' hyperlinks.');

}; // end main

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, 'Add Calendar Hyperlinks');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for writing a script! I saved the script as a .js file and tried to run it in InDesign, however i get this error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error was because you saved the text as "rich text". I needs to be "plain text". - Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited as was using a Mac, works now!! Thank you soo much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

run .js fileUntitled.png in InDesign, however i get this error? Pls help sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mac29594311qpi5, that error occurs when the script is causing the creation of a hyperlink in a document that already has a hyperlink with the same name property. You will either need to put a check in to make sure there is no hyperlink with that name before trying it, or you must remove() the hyperlink before creating a new one with that name.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying, the script works very well as you said, thanks sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask how you edited it to work on a mac? I´m totally new to using a mac and can´t spot where the code needs to be changed yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be soo awsome for me as I´m doing the same process. I have just gotten a MAC though and when I try the script it doesn´t work. Would it be a a terrible inconvenience if I asked you to modify it to work for a MAC? I mean, I would be soo grateful, but I sure understand if you do not have the time.   All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jonatan296132974ogj, it works on MacOS already (I wrote it using a Mac). However, it written very specifically for a particular document. It is very unlikely to work in your case unless you set up the document the same. You need to follow what the script is doing and have a look at Wahid's sample document (test.indd) to see how the document is set up. - Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh it does? Then I must be doing anything wrong then. I´ve saved it as a .js and also tried .jsx and I´ve both tried it on my own documents and on your sample document which is set up exacly as the script is built for. I can´t get it to work though. (I have one or more cells in the calendar selected and have reinstalled my cc and it is the latest version.) Nothing happens when I run the script, no error and no "action" so to speak. Do you have any thoughts on what I´m doing wrong? Could it be that i get the file format wrong somehow? I dont have any fancy coding program, so on my past PC computer I saved it in notepad and changed the file type to .jsx or .js, and now since getting the mac I´ve tried saving it in "script editor" and changing the filetype afterwards to .js. You think that may be the issue? If you do, can you guide me further you think?  Also, thanks a LOT for being so helpful and for replying so fast!! -Jonatan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines