• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyphenation issues in English UK

Enthusiast ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my paragraph styles set to English UK, and the hyphenation seems to be wrong in several places.

From other posts found here, I checked that the hyphenation is indeed wrong in ID and that the only solution woud be to manually edit the user's dictionary. But is that so?

Look at this:

Inlsre_0-1714911470211.png

The word "epicentre" should be "epi-cen-tre", which I can get to if I change the hyphenation rules to be after the first 3 letters instead of 2, but is that the solution? The word "composers" should be spelled "com-po-sers" even if the spelling check on one website gives me "com-pos-ers". 

What should a user do in general when things like this happen? 

What should I do in this particular case?

Thank you

PS: modulation is given as mod-u-la-tion. The Italian word for this is "modulazione", with syllabication mo-du-la-zio-ne. What's wrong with English? 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your preferences change from Hunspell to Proximity

EugeneTyson_0-1714912720544.png

https://creativepro.com/the-shocking-truth-about-indesigns-spell-check/#:~:text=Proximity%20is%20the....

Check out the comments in this too

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that the Hunspell deals better with numbers contained in words, but what is causing it to spell those words differently? Is this an update to the English language itself? Or is Hunspell wrong and Proximity good? Can one use a dictionary just for a specific paragraph, for example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can. Best to adjust the hyphenation to be 3 letters l, always felt it was awkward with 2.

Even better just turn off hyphenation, it's awful, but you can put discretionary hyphens in words so it will break at point if you wanted 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turning off hyphenation with justified text is not a good idea, I think.

I agree that English spelling is murky at best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines