• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm trying to move pages to a master document, but they are moving over blank.

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a yearbook and we are trying to combine all our pages. Whenever I try to move a page to the master document the page is showing up blank. I'm not sure if we have created the pages incorrectly or not and that is why they are not moving over, but we'd like to get them all on one document. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hard to say what the problem is without knowing how you are trying to move the pages over or seeing how the files are set up. Could you add some screen shots. Do you have the master document and working documents open at the same time, and are you selecting everything on the page and copying it over? Do you have anything in the working documents on parent pages, and if so, are they set up the same way in the master document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've got both documents open at the same time. When I highlight the pages I want to move and click move pages, they move over blank. I'm not sure if I have them set up incorrectly to begin with or what. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like everything on those pages are in parent pages. Try breaking the link to the parent pages for all the items on those pages then move them. In the page pallette right click on the page and select "Override All Parent Page Items". They should move for you after this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Wow, thank you! That saved me!! For future reference, how would you set up pages so they are not in parent pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put everything on the pages instead in the parent pages.

Another way to have fixed this problem would have been to go to the parent page, select everything, cut it, go to the actual page, and paste in place.

Parent pages should be used for items that would be the same across all the pages like page numbers which would not need to move over since they should be set up in parent page of the master file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is an example. The first image is of the parent pages with the header and footer for the pages of this booklet. The second image show pages 2-3 of that book with all the unique items for those pages on it.
Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 12.13.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 12.15.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John's right: we need more detail about what you're doing to troubleshoot. You can also try placing the individual documents into the master yearbook. Instructions in the video below:

https://youtu.be/rw94q_Ds6I4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carrie:

Here are two different approaches: one is to drag and drop one or more pages from one file to another, the other is to use the Move Pages from the Pages panel menu.

~Barb

2024-03-07_14-19-32 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a script here for merging files

http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/all/merge_files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines