• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import 1000+ Word files and page them

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I hope to do it right.

I have to import in a InDesign project about 1150 word files. They look like this:

preview word.JPG

And they should be paged like this:

indesign-screen.JPG

Is there a way to import my word files, even one by one, but get its content recognized and styled / placed correctly?

Thank you in advance

Simone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Hi Simone,

see into this script by Peter Kahrel:

Place documents | Peter Kahrel

Place Word and rtf documents

The script lets you select doc, docx, and rtf documents in a folder and places these documents in a single InDesign document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s going to partially depend on how the file is constructed in Word. That being said, I’ll describe one possibility that I think would work. First of all, in InDesign, you have way too many frames. I’d have one frame divided into two columns or two frames threaded together. Now I would Place the Word file into that frame. Depending on how the Text was formatted, you may need to add text styles. Doing these styles in word and then mapping them when placing the text file would be ideal. The graphic should flow in as an inline graphic but you can use an object style in InDesign CC 2018 to control the size and fitting. You’ll need to do them one at a time using this method but a fairly inexpensive script could automate most of the process and allow you to process them all at once!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… "a fairly inexpensive script" …

Sure! …

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sarcasm is incredibly helpful on these forums Michel. If you’re going to say something then at least explain your statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad,

I just confirmed your comment! ... we could even consider a game in 1 click! …

But now, I'm angry! … So get on with Simone! I'm off on this thread.

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you placing your word document and using the mapping feature?

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 2.19.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 2.20.02 PM.png

You can custom map your styles to let indesign do the work for you.  There is an excellent course on this subject on Lynda. here:

https://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Using-Word-InDesign-Together/122930-2.html?srchtrk=index%3a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simone,

see into this script by Peter Kahrel:

Place documents | Peter Kahrel

Place Word and rtf documents

The script lets you select doc, docx, and rtf documents in a folder and places these documents in a single InDesign document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I completely agree with Uwe Laubender, there is also an article I wrote that explains a few methods:

https://indesignsecrets.com/place-word-files-one-frame.php

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines