• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Word Doc (500pg book) with Subject Index

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2024 Aug 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our book has a Subject Index at the back (where hundreds of key word entries have been marked in the Word doc with the corresponding page numbers). Is there a way to keep those page number links active? It is far too big a job to edit them manually.

Thanks,

Geoff

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to import your doc to InDesign? 

There is "show import options" checkbox when you try to place word document.

Index entries should import. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't keep those page numbers active. If you import the book with the generated index, throw away the index after importing the document. As Robert mentioned, index markers are imported by InDesign, so simply generate the Index from InDesign's Index panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Thnaks Peter, Then InDesign is useless for this project, unless there is a way InDesign can recognise the entry markers and regenerate it. (?) The author has spent many, many hours compling his various key ideas throughout his book into the Subject Index in the back with page references, as many scholarly works do. Recreating it manually not an option.

Regards,

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Thnaks Peter, Then InDesign is useless for this project, unless there is a way InDesign can recognise the entry markers and regenerate it. (?) The author has spent many, many hours compling his various key ideas throughout his book into the Subject Index in the back with page references, as many scholarly works do. Recreating it manually not an option.

By @GmR

Are those Subjects in the index exactly the same as in text? 

I'm not sure - I would have to check - but I'm positive that your DOC file could be "prepared" for import into InDesign. 

Macro in Word - step 1 - could convert index markers and corresponding texts into something that script in InDesign - step 2 - would recognise and rebuild. 

Can you share a sample - can be on priv. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW - Not all entries in the Subject Index will match the words in the document exactly, but are Topical references. E.g. an item in the Subject Index may be "Complaints against authority", and the references will be about this, but not necessarily use that phrase. 

I notice the imported "Index" is listed accurately in InDesign, but it contains no page references. This is my problem, as I don't know a way to regenerate it with the page numbers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't have permission to share any portion of his work, but hopefully that isn't really necessary. I appreciate you trying to help, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I don't have permission to share any portion of his work, but hopefully that isn't really necessary. I appreciate you trying to help, however.

By @GmR

Trying to prepare some fake document for testing is pointless. 

It would be enough for me if you can give me few words from the text with corresponding part of the index.

So 2-3 index subjects and corresponding places - with index marker and few words around. 

So it would be completely "out of context". 

Like you've said yourself - doing it manually is out of the question - so if author wants it done in InDesign... 

I already have an idea how to do it - but like I've said - it's best to work on a "real life" example. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines