• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Including missed pages within a flow

Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 330 page document in which all the textboxes flow from inport to outport successfully except pp 81-83 which are missed out by the threaded text (which goes from the outport of p 80 to the inport of p 84). The 'missed' pages include tables although I can't see why that should matter. I have already tried clicking the outport of p 80 and then clicking the inport of p 81 but that has the effect of superimposing the text from p 84 on top of p 81 so I hastily pressed Ctrl-Z!

Can anyone explain to me how I can incorporate these pages into the flow?

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the problem still happen if you save, close, restart, and re-open to those pages?

Lately, I have been seeing whole pages of text disappear, only to have them return to view later. 

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for response - yes I have opened and closed the doc and Indesign many times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you tried? Did you try the "export to IDML and open the IDML to a new INDD" trick?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don't know what an IDML doc is - but I was thinking that there was a simple fix for this if only I knew what it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike - thank you so much for that - I will study it careful and save for future ref!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the "empty" pages have page or column breaks in them?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no empty pages. I have found a workaround of sorts. I used the script 'SplitStory.jsx' to remove all links and then replaced them one at a time - with a 330 page book it was a bit boring but it got the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if you might have had two text frames on the page, with one causing the other to text wrap. This can happen if one reapplies parent pages (and if the text frames have text wrap on). 

Glad you got is sorted out, albiet the hard way! 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@m5heath

Can you clarify - (A) do you have text missing - you know it's there but is not visible - or (B) do you have blank pages - and text is shifted to following pages? 

If (A) - then it's possible that your file is corrupted - you need to do IDMLing - export as IDML, open, save with a new name - do not overwrite your original INDD file. 

And, at least daily - at the end of the day - do Save As with a new name - instead of only Save. Then, next day - work on this new file. 

When you do only Save - InDesign is adding Undo History to the file - which is inaccessible after you close your file - but still there when you open your file again. After some time, your file will get so big - that can get easily corrupted. 

Save As with a new name purges all this Undo History. 

If (B) - then as already suggested - there might be some objects on those pages that have TextWrap applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did the IDML step but it left the file unchanged. I get your advice about saving with a new name though - that seems like a very good idea. I have also found that I don't have to allow all pages to flow - only those where text continues seamlessly. So some bespoke threading seems to help  a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines