Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign bullet

Enthusiast ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have created some bullets in this screenshot.

For each paragraph, about the lines after the bullet point, I would like to move these lines to the left, at the green line on the screenshot. How to do this ?

screenshot0001.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the left indent on the style to 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your indent settings should look like this:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe have the textframe selected and turn on Type > Story > Optical Margin Alignment

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In each bullet , my goal in each parapgraph is to keep the first line unchanged, and move the other lines to the left (see green arrow in the screenshot).

So I put my cursor on line 2 and tried to change the left indent, but indesign show me an error window with : "incorrect indent value. The indents cannot go beyond the text frame" (see screenshot).

I have also tried to use optical margin alignment, but with no success.

screenshot0002.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the first line indent back to zero as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La meilleure méthode, selon moi, serait d'avoir – pour chaque film – 2 paragraphes et pas un seul avec un retour forcé : le premier paragraphe (titre + réalisateur) avec une puce et le paragraphe suivant (description) sans retrait, tout simplement. Et si tu fais des styles de paragraphe, (ce qui serait le mieux), il suffit de définir des styles suivants : le style « titre » est suivi du style « description » et le style « description » est lui-même suivi du style « titre ».

À part ça, si je peux me permettre :  en général, on compose les titres d'œuvres en italique, sans guillemets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always found the 'Tabs' options weird to set up (Ctrl+Shift+T) or even better in paragraph styles.

EricDumas_0-1671278933519.png

• The top 'triangle' represents the position of the start of the line, the position of the bullet point 
  • The lower 'triangle' represents the position of the rest of the text (until the next carriage return that will place the cursor at the position marked by the top triangle)
  • The weird thing is that a user needs to move the top triangle first, then move the bottom one, then re-position the top one to its correct place (moving sometimes the 2 together...)
  • Just make it harder, the triangle are really hard to grab without adding more tabs (bent arrows), especially on smaller screen or interfaces. At least, we can select one and type a X value, which is easier and more accurate

EricDumas_1-1671279297274.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, always a bit hard to understand. Especially the fact that you must hold down the Shift key to drag the lower triangle to the right. Still a secret to many users.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😄
I very rarely use these two small triangles. Mostly I enter the numerical values for First line indent and Left indent in the Bullet and Numbering tab (see my last screenshot) in the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use paragraph styles. When you "push" the left indent in, then "pull" the first line back out (with a negative amount), the tab takes care of itself.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to set the bullets outside to the left of their thext frame - this is not possible. 

If the bullets should stay and only the following lines should moved to the left - see the advices above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done 2 paragraphs : a paragraph for the title of the film (in talic with a bullet), and another paragraph for the description of the film (that is as I expected : completely at left) :

screenshot0003.jpg

But now, at the green arrow in the screenshot, it is different :

- I don't want to separate the first line and the second line (one single paragraph).

- I would like that the phrase beginning at the first line could continue on the second line, but completely at left on the second line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, if I not understand your problem:

pixxxelschubser_0-1671283142299.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) About the text of the page bottom :

before.jpg

I have set a paragraph style with :

- the bullet setting you see below.

- a space between paragraph 

bullet setting.jpg

Here is the result after applying this paragraph style (the second line after the bullet is completely at left) :

after.jpg

2) About the text of the beginning of the page :

screenshot0001.jpg

I have used another paragraph style (on the paragraph title only) with :

- the same bullet setting as before.

- italic style

Here is the result (the second line after the bullet is completely at left) :

screenshot0002.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je vais répondre d'abord en français, puis en anglais :

Je n'arrive pas à comprendre ce que tu souhaites obtenir, ou ce qui ne convient pas dans tes résultats… Des fois, tu as des paragraphes « titre » sur une seule ligne, avec des puces, des fois non.  Tu veux que la 2e ligne de chaque paragraphe avec puces soit alignée complètement à gauche, c'est ça ? Dans ce cas, qu'est-ce que tu n'arrives pas à faire ?

I don't understand what you want to achieve, or what is not correct in your results. Sometimes, you have “title” paragraphs with bullets, sometimes no. You want the 2nd line of each bulleted paragraph to be left-aligned, right? So, what can't you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmlevy 

My last response was what I succeeded to do (with success : it corresponds exactly to what I needed).

I had shared only the steps I have done in order to do what I expected.

Thank you to all people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines