• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2018 incredibly slow when opening INDB files stored on Network Server

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening a 32 pg INDB file in order to export as Print PDF, the first 3 pages open quickly, then we get the spinning beach ball. It can take up to 10 minutes for the entire file to open. The Export is even worse. My graphic designers are also having a horrible time with freezing and crashing when adding pages to create INDBs. Everyone is on the latest updated Mac OS High Sierra and latest updates of Adobe CC 2018. All machines are iMacs with tons of memory, etc. -- I am on a Mac Pro (late 2013) which is also loaded to the max in terms of memory and processing speeds. All files are stored on a Windows 2008 server; no problems connecting via SMB. Copying the INDB file to my desktop does nothing to help, since the linked graphics, etc. are stored on the server. None of these problems happened prior to the upgrades. Am looking for any suggestions, as we will have approximately 20 magazines to prep in the next 2 weeks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amy,

were the InDesign book files created with InDesign CC 2018?

Or did you open—say CC 2017.1—book files with CC 2018 that contain legacy InDesign documents from a previous version?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - these are CC 2018 INDB files created from CC 2018 INDD files; there are no legacy items in any of the projects. The problem never occurred until the OS High Sierra & CC 2018 updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a lot of variables going on here. If you've worked on book files off the server in the past, then High Sierra, could be the culprit. You might be looking at a protocol issue. Are you connecting with SMB or AFP? Regardless, I'd copy the book file and all of the InDesign documents locally on to your hard drive and open the book and the files within. If the performance is better, then you need to look to the server or the protocol used to connect to the server. This test will help you determine which direction to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Chad+Chelius  wrote

… I'd copy the book file and all of the InDesign documents locally on to your hard drive and open the book and the files within. …

Hi Chad,

but that will also mean, that you unload the book file with all documents and reload it with all documents.

Otherwise the book file's entries will still point to the documents on the server.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point Uwe, but it's not necessary to unload and reload all of them. You can just select a book file, and then choose Replace Document from the panel menu. Of course if there's a bunch of them, it might be easier to just unload and reload. Either way, Uwe's right in that you'll want to relink them to the local copies in order to perform a valid test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac Pro running High Sierra version 10.13.2. I have a 3 GHz 8-core processor with 64 GB memory. I also have a book that is on a Windows server connected via SMB. InDesign CC 2018 book is 167 pages that two of us share so it isn't practical to download all the pages to a local drive. It takes almost 30 seconds, a click and a double click to open a single page. Once it's open things are fine, so why should it take so long just to open the page?  I didn't have this problem a year ago, so I would like to understand what changed to cause the slow down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/amy+v.p66117880  wrote

… My graphic designers are also having a horrible time with freezing and crashing when adding pages to create INDBs. Everyone is on the latest updated Mac OS High Sierra and latest updates of Adobe CC 2018.
…

Hi Amy,

in the meanwhile a bug fix for InDesign CC 2018 13.0.1.207 was issued that is not available through the Creative Cloud Desktop app. Maybe installing that would help a bit:

InDesign crashes while saving a file on a network drive

I think, it's worth a try…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try some of these suggestions from Apple. I am also working off an SMB share. We stopped using DAVE for compatibility after High Sierra allegedly solved some of Apple's issues with Windows Server.

Adjust SMB browsing behavior in macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Apple Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines