• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2019 performance issues / crashes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having major performance issues with InDesign or having crashes? I can't move some textboxes (it just hangs until a couple of seconds), sometimes the program crashes after I moved a textbox. This started after the update to the recent version...and it's annyoing as hell!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

The latest build seems to be working for me - (v 14.0.1.209, win10, x64)  - hurray!

No more text box delay / program crashes (however, others have commented in another thread that the same build did not fix their issues). Here is the link if you don't want to wait for the official release.

link: Adobe Prerelease​

One thing to be aware of ... in the Creative Cloud "Apps" interface - it doesn't recognize INDD as being installed. I am hoping that this is a non-issue - but thought it was worth pointing

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 228 Replies 228
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues, when selecting the text box, it hangs/loads for 10 or so seconds.

I find the updated version to 2019 is very glitchy, is there a way of going back to the 2018 version until this is sorted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can install the 2018 version from your CC desktop app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! So I disable some things I use on a daily basis and I can work as I did three days ago.

By the way, I lost a couple of hours today and a couple more yesterday. I charge 25€ + VAT per hour.

Who do I pass the bill? XD

PLEASE, MAKE SOME SORT OS TESTING AMONG REAL DESIGNERS BEFORE RELEASING SOMETHING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don’t you join the prerelease program yourself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big problems with text boxes. Everything works fine until I try to create a text box. Then ID completely freezes to the point where it needs to be closed via the Task Manager. It doesn't matter if it's a brand new file or an old one. In preferences, I have deselected the type contextual controls boxes. No control panel open when working with the program, either. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and not preserving any preferences. Still does the same thing. I've gone back to an older version (CC 2017) for now that works fine. Would really like to use 2019, but can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please find my fix in the thread.

it seems to have worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mat-z​. I don't think it is completely freezing. I thought the same thing at first.When you select your type tool and put in your first type box it hangs, not freezes. I think, at this point, it has to do with some of the new type features in the type drop-down menu. If you just wait patiently it will un-hang itself. I think it is just running through all your installed fonts to pre-load them. Once it is done with that you will be back to normal and not run into the hang again until you close and reopen the program. I would say the more fonts you have the longer this will take. But I'm not seeing anybody waiting more that a couple minutes. Try it again and be patient. I thought it was frozen as well the first couple times. Then I walked away and came back and it was fine. I really only have to wait less than a minute to about a minute. It is a VERY LONG minute but it does clear right up after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just found that 8-bit png files are importing into InDesign 2019 with a weird gray background. The issue is occurring on multiple machines, variations on Mac OS High Sierra 10.12.6 and 10.13.6.

PNG files, non 8-bit, seem to be fine.

At the moment, I have only encountered the issue on InDesign 2019.

~ Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Chester+The+Artist  wrote

Hi,

I just found that 8-bit png files are importing into InDesign 2019 with a weird gray background. The issue is occurring on multiple machines, variations on Mac OS High Sierra 10.12.6 and 10.13.6.

PNG files, non 8-bit, seem to be fine.

At the moment, I have only encountered the issue on InDesign 2019.

~ Cheers

As far as I am aware, importing indexed PNG files with alpha transparency never worked before in InDesign. I am still on V13.1, and while it imports indexed 8bit PNG files, the transparency is lost. The background colour depends on the app used to create the PNG file.

And the same happened in previous versions. That said, it is one of my pet peeves with InDesign. It should have been fixed by now, really: in particular for ePub export. My current workflow is that I replace the full 32bit (24bit + 8bit alpha) with indexed versions after exporting to ePub or HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is happening to everyone on my design team as well at work. Indesign continually crashes/doesn't respond.

Started with the new update. Have had alot of issues in Photoshop too.

I hate new updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, everybody seems they-re working on it. Adobe Twitter support suggested this fix

InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Tried it, seems to have worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far the easier fix that has WORKED is to simply turn off 3rd party fonts. Hopefully that works for others (on Mac) because it is working brilliantly here for me. I have even started to enable 3rd party fonts again and it's still smooth sailing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue too (and only once I updated to the new InDesign CC 2019 V14.0). I am running PC, Windows 10, and actually got my computer processer upgraded at the same time (Intel Xeon W-2133 CPU @ 3.60GHz). So it's not because my computer is old or slow. And I'm not going to bother doing any of the suggested changes from the Adobe staff because it looks like other people on this thread have tried all the suggested changes, and it is still not working. So obviously it is an InDesign 2019 version problem. Hopefully Adobe come up with a path soon. Adobe Hurry Pleeasseee!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

When the Type Control Panel is open any text-related action is delayed for at least 2 seconds. Without the Type Control Panel open everything is kind of fine. I still experience a slight delay compared to v13.0.

Win10 Pro, InDesign CC 2019 14.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works indeed, but still have a delay...Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. It's very annoying (and time consuming) to have to reset my preferences every time there's an update. I was actually relieved to see my preferences were still there when I installed 2019. BUT, I have had the same issue with the textbox, lagging, and crashing as described in this and other posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

Same here.  I was trying to resize InDesign workspace window with the arrows on the edge of the window, and it suddenly froze -- everything was frozen -- had to shut down the computer to get out of the crash.  Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat were open at the same time, but I was working in the InDesign window.  Working with the latest Mojave update on a Mac and InDesign 2019 latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even get Indesign to even open now I have upgraded to 2019, let alone do any work. I wish I had left it alone. I am about to cancel my account and move to Affinity once and for all, I don't have time to perform manual troubleshooting, none of us do. I have clients waiting and they don't care that the software I rely on to do my job isn't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is the issue?

I would remind you that Affinity is in Beta and it's on their forum that the software shouldn't be used for commercial work.

Rather than jumping ship and using untested products - how about I try to help you.

I'm not affiliated to Adobe in anyway - other than I help out on the forums from time to time. I'm from Ireland, and had similar issues as you with CC2019 update.

Can you please let me know what operating system you are using and what version of InDesign?

Kind regards

Eugene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had very good results using Affinity Publisher for several projects (yes, I know it's Beta) and so far have not had any problems with the exported PDFs.

No, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the latest version of InDesign, but it also seems to be far more stable than the latest CC2019 version of InDesign.

I also use QuarkXpress 2018. And CS5 (on MacBook Pro running Yosemite). I also use a Windows 10 machine at work with CC2018 and have told my boss that

we need to wait in regards to upgrading after reading about the multiple problems across the suite. We cannot afford to be down for an hour, much less days trying to figure out what is causing the problems. Stability is the name of the game and customers will go elsewhere.

At the end of the day, there are many software tools to achieve an end. IMO, Affinity is running circles around Adobe, in regards to Photo and Designer, and Publisher is shaping up nicely as we roll through the Beta phase. QuarkXpress has come a long way and I hadn't used it for nearly 20 years. It's quite powerful and the company is super responsive.

No software is without problems but it seems this latest rollout of the CC by Adobe has so many ill-advised changes, not to mention the serious problems, that you have to wonder what the rush was to get it out to market.

I'm very grateful to many of the MVPs here on the forums, because they impart their smarts and real knowledge, but at the same time, Adobe is not the be-all-end-all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only way I managed to resolve the issue was uninstalling 2019.... car crash of an update. complete shambles - lost hours and hours of my week.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lauraw18983167​ alisong48594604​

I too lost days of work. My fix was nothing to do with Adobe, per se. It was in fact that I needed to run a firmware and graphics driver update. I work on Windows Machine for the 2019 stuff at the moment, but still run 2018 suite on the Macs.

Let me know if there's anything else I can share with you.

Without specifics, files, logs etc. it's very difficult to know what's going on - maybe an Adobe staff member can weigh in?

AnshulJain19​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m on Windows 10 and ran those updates last week when it started, no improvement there. Have not looked at graphics card drivers (NLVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X), will check that next. Thank you for the info, I'll try anything! The text tool hang up is happening with every document on initial tool use. The crashing only seems to happen when I drag and drop from a Word Document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely worth a try! Actually, I had to contact Nvidia before on a different issue not related to Adobe, and once I told them what I was doing via chat, they sent me a graphics driver that wasn't available for download - which worked.

Might be worth a while using their Chat tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines