• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2019 performance issues / crashes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having major performance issues with InDesign or having crashes? I can't move some textboxes (it just hangs until a couple of seconds), sometimes the program crashes after I moved a textbox. This started after the update to the recent version...and it's annyoing as hell!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

The latest build seems to be working for me - (v 14.0.1.209, win10, x64)  - hurray!

No more text box delay / program crashes (however, others have commented in another thread that the same build did not fix their issues). Here is the link if you don't want to wait for the official release.

link: Adobe Prerelease

One thing to be aware of ... in the Creative Cloud "Apps" interface - it doesn't recognize INDD as being installed. I am hoping that this is a non-issue - but thought it was worth pointing

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 228 Replies 228
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-istalled Indesign and Illustrator, the 2018 versions and now I can work.

Fortunately I have an external drive running all the time and I was able to re-install using Time Machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I tried reverting to previous version but since it auto converted all my INDD files, everything was sluggish - it was worse that waiting on the type stall so reinstalled new version and taking a meditation breather everytime I open a document just waiting for the dang application to stop 'working'.

I did run all Windows 10 updates and ran firmware/updates on my TITAN graphics card - no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the Windows Update feature - disaster!

Check with your computer manufacturer, you can usually insert your Serial Number and get a detection tool to scan your computer and get the updates.

Windows Updates rarely is accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the graphics card driver update made things worse. Now I get this error in PS and my screen on my Eizo monitor looks horrible, I'll have to get in touch someone soon:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not good! You can always roll back to the previous driver.

1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Windows Vista: Click System and Maintenance and then System or simply System (in Classic view). Windows 7: Click System and Security and then System.
  4. In the left pane, click Device Manager
  5. Double-click on Display Adapters
  6. Double-click on your NVIDIA GPU
  7. Select the Driver Tab
  8. Click on Roll Back Driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that helped. Screen is back to normal and PS is starting up. I'll just have to live with the ID hiccups until Adobe has some input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issues, text tool freezes for 30-60 secs intermittently and then crashes if attempting to drop text. Also having issues with fonts activating - I've had 2 almost identical layouts open at the same time and the same fonts are activated in one document but not the other. The whole update has been a real mess, would appreciate a fix ASAP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to uninstall 2019 and reinstall 2018, all on Adobe support's advice, and have lost half a day's work as a result. Great that they can release an update and then actually advise their paying customers to not use it... In the meantime, I will check out Affinity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just when I was starting to get past my fear of updates...

Cmon Adobe!!!

My Symptoms: When I double click a text-box - it freezes for about 10 seconds; then I am able to start typing. Then after time - the whole InDesign application kept crashing. It paralyzed me - couldn't get any work done.

I uninstalled / reinstalled CC 2019. Now I am back to the just the maddening delay after clicking into a text box (seems like it only happens to the first doc after launching INDD for the first time); but at least it's not crashing.... so far....

I am glad anyway that the reinstall didn't wipeout my custom keyboard shortcuts this time (shortcuts associated with my scripts - like it did after I updated from CC 2018).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is simular to the upgrade of Corel Draw from 2017 to 2018. Some bug with Windows 10 and screendrivers made it malfunction. Support made me (and who knows how many others) spend hours and days to uninstall/reinstall/delete cash/upgrade the most peculiar things - nothing worked, but the support people (first line support at least) either did not know what to do, or was asked to keep people busy . I think it is the same with this Adobe CC2019 upgrade. It will not help whatever you as a user do, They have to clean up the program. And - maybe they are afraid to rock the boat - no official warning on their web! They know thousands of users have the problem, still no warning or action.

In my opinion it is a shame! And by the way - Adobe charged my credit card for another month today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely disagree - the Adobe Support was fantastic for me and helped me troubleshoot the issues I had.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Call my crazy, but I think I'd prefer to use a program where I don't need help from support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue with the new version is when I open the font scroll pull-down to select a font, I can only scroll halfway and then the box closes on it's own.  Whats up with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Droogie45, this has been reported at the InDesign User Voice. Please vote for fixing this bug:

Typekit (or Adobe Fonts) window crashes after a few seconds, without selecting a font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't needed help from support in over 15 years. Call me crazy, but that's pretty good.

The only issue I really had was that the content aware fit caused InDesign to crash. Support gave me a few prompts in asking for log files etc.

I then updated the firmware on the computer (nothing to do with Adobe) and it's now working.

After 15 years, the only support I needed was not really needed at all. I usually keep firmwares and bios updates regular, don't know why it slipped my mind. But Adobe were there for me to troubleshoot and prompt me to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that overall I have had very few issues and am very please with the Creative Suite. I understand they are complex programs and I've never found any that compare so if there are a few bumps in the road, I'll be patient. I wonder if the font live previewing has something to do with it. I was working in it yesterday and for the first time noticed that the font list previews the actual text you're highlighting, that is a very cool feature and I'm willing to wait on the delay for that - it will save me time in the long run. I do have over 2000 fonts installed on my PC so if it needs a minute or two to generate previews, that makes sense (yes, I know I should clean out my list, someday I'll have some time to get more organized). Thanks again Eugene for your advice and positive attitude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have too many fonts. Remember they are technically software... and that takes toll on the computer and apps. Consider a font management system.

Cant believe its not a cc app...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! It's on my list - I started messing with Typekit since it interfaces but just haven't had time to really investigate. I run my own design/photography business but also support a production staff at a local publishing company so I have all their fonts that I need on file but I really need to figure out a more efficient way to manage them - it's insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off ALL fonts and them adding them back as needed for each project has really helped the efficiency of InDesign for my projects. I used to have a ton of fonts turned on and InDesign was slow/sluggish/didn't work at all. Turned them all off and started turning them on for each individual project only and now it works like a champ. This might sound time consuming but it really isn't, and InDesign seems to work so much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "turning off" the fonts, I assume you mean through a font manager vs. totally uninstalling all your fonts and reinstalling as needed?  If so, what font manager are you using?  If you're on Mac, of course, this info won't help me.  But if you're on a Windows machine, I'd be very interested to know what font manager you use. I haven't liked any font manager since the one that used to come with Corel Draw years ago, but I haven't used it in a long time, and now I understand Corel ships with something called Corel Font Manager, which I know nothing about. I've tried various freeware and several paid font managers and still don't like anything I'm using. They all seem to have glitches. If anyone has any suggestions along these lines, I'd really appreciate hearing them.  Again, I'm on a Win 10 platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting a lot of crashes since updating to Mojave / CC2019. Acrobat, Indesign, photoshop and Illustrator have all crashed a few times. Some elements of photoshop not working properly (notably, path alignment tool in the top bar greyed out and not working though works from the layer menu window. Likewise the Path operations in the top bar produces the wrong and unexpected results whereas works fine from the Layer menu.) Never had this amount of issues on my 10 year old Macbook. The new CC 2019 apps seem quite buggy and less intuitive (which was the great thing about Adobe in the first place) and like other users have mentioned is a bit of a pain when you depend on these apps. With Affinity snapping at Adobe's heels, these stability issues need addressing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not upgraded to the CC 2019 because of the various reported problems. When a new version is available fixing these issues, can a sticky please be posted to let us all know? I know that CC will show updates available, but it already does since I am not downloading the current 2019 update. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cyndee+M  wrote

…I know that CC will show updates available,…

Hi Cyndee,

not necessarily. It could be a hotfix from a tech helpx page where you have to download the installer and install the fix yourself. Like this one for InDesign CC 2017.1 Mac and Windows that never showed up as update through the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App: Troubleshoot issues after updating to InDesign CC 2017.1

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe. In that case, then I think a sticky in this forum would be particularly useful for those like me that don't want to install CC 2019 until we know these issues have been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely, with all the complaints and crashes and the various issues folks are bringing up, Adobe doesn't think it can do a little side-tech patch and expect everything that is wrong to be fixed.  This will have to be a major fix and a real update, don't you think? As Cyndee says, we need to know for sure. I don't want to install this patch and that, fixing piecemeal, when I'm paying for the product. What am I buying, a bunch of mistakes?  Adobe needs to step up to the plate.

In these threads I'm seeing mention of a product called Affinity. I'm getting really curious about that ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines