• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC won't save my files

Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been working in InDesign for a week now and since yesterday I started noticing that at times InDesign won't undo and I am not able to save my file. I keep hitting command + s while working but it just doesn't save or give an error message. If I go on the File menu all the save and save as commands are grayed out. If you close the file and click on the save button InDesign just gives a message that the file cannot be saved. I have to close the file without saving and redo all the work. Because InDesign doesn't give an error when pressing command + s I would do a lot of work under the impression everything gets saved but it doesn't and I keep losing a lot of work.

Also CC runs very slow. There are times when the program just "freezes" for awhile while InDesign does somethings in the background and only after it is done you can start working again. The pages panel takes ages to load the previews onto the pages and while it is doing so I cannot do anything at all.

Starting to think I should have stayed with CS6.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 249 Replies 249
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ KineticMCD- I aint using a tablet, Ive even tried the IDML workaround but that won't work either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated and am running 9.2.0.69.  Like Steven, I am still having issues.  Here's what i've found:

1/ If I start a new document and immediately save it before doing anything else, it saves ok.

2/ When I begin working on the document, Undo/Redo is greyed out.

3/ I can still Save or Save As after I've added text or a graphic etc.

4/ If I open an old document, I can't Save or Save As or Undo any changes I make.

All pretty hopeless really. Hope we can have a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you start a new document there exists never a undo or redo, you must have done at least one operation to undo or redo.

Can you export your old document to IDML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Willi - I can export my documents to IDML, but when I open it and try to save it I still can't nor can I undo any actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi.  Yes I realise that, I did actually mean the undo /redo option isn't available at all.  Yes I can export to IDML but I still have no Undo option available when I re-open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you choose a different working space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried various workspaces -still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried re-setting the prefs and even re-installing on more than one occassion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear (or words to that effect) I've just reset the preferences.  Initially Undo/Redo worked but after a while its started playing up again.  Now, if I do a single undo it actually does 2 or 3 undo's!  Also the Save/Save As option has stopped working again 😕 

Clearly there is a serious bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to uninstall your previous version, clean manually all remains and install it again? It sounds like if old program parts have not been updated when you updated InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I've not tried the uninstal.  I've never had older versions insstalled - i.e. CS 6 or earlier, only CC has ever been installed.  I'm just a little concerned that it will completely screw up if I try that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't screw up anymore than it already is. I have re-installed twice and its the same outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven Jones wrote:

It can't screw up anymore than it already is. I have re-installed twice and its the same outcome.

No, not reinstalling is the solution. UNINSTALLING and DELETING all existing files from InDesign. Run the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool., look if you have any older program files in your App folder, in the Library and so on.

Then use the DIsk Utility to repair your permissions, I think they are screwed up. When did you use the Disk Utility the last time?

When all this is done install the latest version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a more positive note, we've installed the update and first impression is a much speedier IDCC so far, the whole thing with the new font-text-search actually works for the first time (with some snags, alas, with T1-fonts of all things). And no Undo-Greyout so far. Amazing.

But... how many months has it been since CC came out? Maybe Adobe should offer a Beta-Discount for Early Adopters 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ HD Schellnack - Go just rub it in!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I jumped on that train pretty early despite MASSIVE problems with a model like that, frankly speaking. I'd rather have Adobe on the Mac App Store, frankly and adopt the Apple-model more.

But I did - and PS did not work at all, crashing instantly, till the latest update. And ditto on ID. That's amazingly bad marketing in any way you look at it.

I'm not saying this to diss Adobe. I work with ID since one of the early betas, was one of the first German folks to use OTF (bought via Fontshop in the US from Adobe directly), LOVE Indesign (warts and all), but man, CC is like the Windows Vista of Adobe. If it were my company, it would mean that I'd run around with a flamethrower and then totally rethink the way I handle the software. Creative Suite is in massive trouble and even a monopoly will only help Adobe so long.

I make my daily living with this software, so I hope all of these problems get sorted out, the SAS-model gets a bit tweaked and prices go WAY down with more versatile models, especially in Europe. I could even live with US prices (converted to €), but the price hike here in Europe is a joke, as it always has been.

Especially considering the fact that when I install a new Mac I need about ONE day for everything, about 10—30 Apps, which out of the box work almost perfectly. And 2 days for Adobe :-D. (profiles, settings, color spaces, actions, keyboard shortcuts and so on, plus the endless preferences-tweaking). Still better than anything Microsoft does these days, but then again, I just stopped using Office at all and work with Pages, Numbers and mostly Markdown-Texteditors these days.

Lots of GOOD potential & great talent at Adobe. Time to let it shine again, folks

Apart from that - thanks for a great update to the ID-Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2014 Mar 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is in reply to DeanM's post #154 on Jan 16:

This is EXACTLY the behavior I first experienced recently (February 20) before InDesign decided not to Save or Undo anymore.

I have tried all the tricks I can think of:

-- trash preferences ("Defaults" and "SavedData" files)

-- export to idml

-- run Disk Utility to make sure the machine is OK,

-- uninstall and reinstall InDesign

Nothing works. It simply will not Save or Undo files anymore. Only if I create brand new files will it Save, but it still will not Undo.

ALSO, if I create an idml file from an existing CC document and open it in CS6 and try to Save, it will stall, alternating between the beachball and watch. I have eaten an entire meal and come back to see it still stuck. If I close the window, InDesign will crash giving me the message "Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected . . ."

I have not tried Creative Cloud Cleaner yet (I didn't even know it existed until now). I will give it a shot.

I have the latest version of InDesign installed (9.2.0.69).

I am experiencing this on only one of two computers I regularly use. The affected computer is a Late 2009 iMac running on 10.8.5. The unaffected (so far) computer is a Mid 2010 Mac Mini also running 10.8.5. Except for the hardware differences these machines have pretty much the same software installed on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my last post, I have uninstalled all three copies of InDesign that were on my machine (CS5, CS6, and CC) and used Creative Cloud Cleaner to check for any residual files (none found). I once again ran Disk Utility and then reinstalled InDesign CC.

Still no luck. Creating new documents works fine but the documents that initially caused the problems for me are still acting up. If I open one of them up I cannot save anything. After that, any other file I open up is affected, mostly the inability to undo.

(Quit. Trash preferences. Start over.)

I partially rebuilt one of the problem documents and slowly started copy/pasting text frames and image frames from the problem document to the new one. It was going fine until I got cocky and tried moving a batch of pages from the corrupt file to the new document. That move brought the problem right back.

(Quit. Trash preferences. Start over.)

I copied a few more text and image frames. This time it crapped out after copying a simple text frame. I read in earlier posts about people speculating that certain fonts were a problem. My font was not Helvetica Neue; it was Whitney Book. However, I changed Whitney book to Minion Pro and voila, I was able to copy/paste the text box to a new document and save the thing. I have no idea what that means. I doubt Whitney Book is really the cause because I can create a new document and fill it up with Whitney Book and everything is fine.

The only other thing I can offer up is that the documents that are causing the problems for me are fairly large, complex publications that I have been working on for many years. In other words, these publications have gone through many InDesign version upgrades over the years. Maybe that plays a role in things. I don't know.

It would be really nice if someone from Adobe would report back and let us know if they're making any progress on this issue. It's been over a month since the last official visit by a staff person on this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

We are actively working on tihs issue and are talking with few users facing this problem. We understand that this is a very serious issue and are trying hard to recreate the problem at our end and then fix it. The issue is that this is a random issue and have no reproducible steps.

Since you have mentioned that opening certain files even after running the cleaner tool are causing this issue on your machine, could you please share those files @sharewithID@adobe.com. If they are heavy/large documents, you can upload them to dropbox and send us the link. If poosible, kindly create a package an send us the same.

We would update this thread as soon as we find something.

Thanks,

Dinkar

InDesign Enginering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dinkar. I will package up the files and send them to you via Dropbox.

I will need to do it from my unaffected work computer (Mac Mini) as I just discovered that InDesign shuts down when I try to package these documents from my affected home computer (iMac). I will also include the crash report and specs from my iMac.

I'll have these files ready in about 3 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to recreate the problem by disabling my Extensis Fusion font manager plug in.

Then restarting InDesign.

I am able to save the problem file.

When I enabled the plugin for Fusion, then restarted InDesign, I am unable to save the problem file.

I suspect there is a font conflict of some sort, or some other issue with InDesign 9.2 and Suitcase Fusion 16.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second what aaprinter says. I disabled the plugin for Extensis Suitcase Fusion 5 (16.2.0) and I can now save my problem files. THANK YOU, aaprinter, for thinking of this! You have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

The question now is why it affects some machines and not others. At least there's a viable workaround until things get sorted out.

I hope this works for others affected by this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! Suitcase Fusion 16.2 - that's it! That's where the glich is - I have an older version of Suitcase - but since I had updated my operating system and the Cloud I updated that too and that's when the problems started. When I couldn't get anything to work I dumped all my new updates and started over - and it works fine now - but I totally had forgotten about updating Suitcase....

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the days of InDesign 2.0, the first version which did run on Max OS X, more than10 Years ago, I had such huge problems with the interaction between InDesign and Extensis' font management programs so I decided not to use it any more. As far as I see I would make the very same decision today as on the Mac additional font managing is not livesaving any more as in the days on the Mac. I can do it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines